"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 08-12-2005, 12:03 AM   #11
Cook

Bear has a huge flavor range, depending on what it's been eating. I really like bear that has had ample access to lots of berries and such, but if I see local bears eating mainly fish, I stay away - the meat tastes almost rancid to me.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:45 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramydam
Bear has a huge flavor range, depending on what it's been eating. I really like bear that has had ample access to lots of berries and such, but if I see local bears eating mainly fish, I stay away - the meat tastes almost rancid to me.
I believe that to be true with all game and what they eat.

El Gringo Caliente
BBQ Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:15 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Okay - I have to jump in here - I have to admit that the idea of serving big, burly bear with dainty little angel hair pasta, gave me pause - and made me giggle just a little! I'd imagine it with something like papardelle
Old 08-13-2005, 03:20 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Okay - I have to jump in here - I have to admit that the idea of serving big, burly bear with dainty little angel hair pasta, gave me pause - and made me giggle just a little! I'd imagine it with something like papardelle
Marm - let's face it - I had the same picture - bear sitting on top of delicate angel hair - and it is rather amusing. I would think more along the lines of fettucini or papparedelle or a wide egg noodle -but never delicae angel hair!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:30 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Marmalady and Kitchenelf,

I have actually tried many different pasta's with this, but found that a larger/wider pasta takes away from the texture and taste. Preparing bear this way practically melts in your mouth, and a larger noodle would be left in your mouth after only chewing a few times. Alternates to angel hair would be an 'al dente' capellini or vermicelli and that would be it.

Now as for the papparedelle (and to give you other expierences/tests with pasta), i have used that with duck and pheasant, but now thought the fettucini i tried to be sort of dense and not the right texture. Also i have used pizzoccheri and fettuce, (with duck and pheasant) that had a great balance between taste and texture.
The fettuce i used was generally an egg noodle, and the pizzoccheri is a buckwheat noodle, that i bought fresh from an Italian store. Although, i was also told the difference between fettuce and fettuccine when i first bought it was the texture and the egg, and that's all (i knew those beautiful little Italian ladies were not going to give up any other info than what already had). However, there was an obvious difference in width and look right off the get go, which the fettuce has a deeper, darker color than fettuccine, and taste wise, there is egg in it.

Hopefully this explains the method to my madness?

El Gringo Caliente
BBQ Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:55 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Don't forget to raise one's pinky when ingesting the bear meat! One must observe protocol, after all!

Tags
None