"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #11
Master Chef

I first had rabbit when a friend's French mother made it. We'd gone out to a farm where they raised them for meat. I think my girlfriend was really turned off by meeting her dinner before eating it; but really, that didn't bother me. And it was delicious. I think it was much like this recipe, but I think maybe red wine. I've cooked rabbit often since then, but always the frozen stuff. Also had it in the military in chow halls, where they tried to pass it off as fried chicken. I picked up a leg and said to myself, rabbit. Haha. But I do remember once, when Daddy was stationed outside of Reno, we had jack-rabbit. Oh my dearie me. That stuff was horrid.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
Master Chef

That looks so good! I have no access to rabbit. :(

Old 01-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #13
Master Chef

What is jack-rabbit? Is it wild one? If yes, you simply did not have it when it was cooked right. I had a friend, an avid hunter, he would get them all the time. His wife would make a beefstrogonoff like dish out of wild rabbit it was absolutelly amaizing.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
That looks so good! I have no access to rabbit. :(

Do you have an Amish Market near you ?
They almost always have a few in the poultry cooler ...........

Tags
recipe

Skillet-Stewed Rabbit Skillet-Stewed Rabbit Ingredients Milk and flour for dredging 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 fat rabbit, cut into pieces 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 1 medium onion, sliced 1 cup chicken stock 1/2 cup white wine 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in thick puree 1 teaspoon dried thyme 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary 1 tablespoon lemon-pepper Hot buttered rice 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Pat rabbit sections dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Dredge rabbit in milk and flour if you wish; this is not necessary. Brown the rabbit, meat-side down first, and turning once, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a warm plate and set aside Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the pan. Add onion to the pan and saute until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add the stock and wine and stir, scrapping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Turn heat to high and reduce by half, about 3 minutes. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and add the dried herbs and lemon pepper. Add the meat back into the pan.Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 30-35 minutes. Remove rabbit from liquid and serve alongside the hot buttered rice. Ladle the sauce on top and garnish with fresh chopped parsley. [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/Rabbitbefore.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/rabbit001.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/rabbit003.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/rabbit005.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/rabbit006.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews