Southern Italian Rabbit Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foodnelson

Assistant Cook
This is a delicious recipe for rabbit stew that was handed down to me from my Italian grandmother. They use to hunt rabbit in the old country and loved to make this stew. I hope you will try it. The following is a short video showing how to make the recipe.

Southern Italian Rabbit Stew - YouTube

• 2 Cottontail rabbits or 8 chicken thighs
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 5 chopped garlic cloves
• 1 chopped onion
• 4 tablespoons capers or green peppercorns, “which ever you prefer”
• 1/4 cup chopped parsley Large pinch saffron
• 2 cups Hot water
• 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
• Salt and Pepper

1. Soak the rabbit in salted water for 24 hours in the refrigerator. This is not necessary for chicken.
2. Get the vegetable oil hot over medium-high heat in a large skillet or Dutch oven.
3. Pat the rabbit or chicken pieces dry and brown well in the pot.
4. Meanwhile, chop half the capers or green peppercorns
5. Get your tap water as hot as it will go and fill a 2 cup measure. Crush the saffron in your palm and sprinkle it into the hot water.
6. Once the meat is all browned, remove it to a plate. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until browned.
7. Add everything into the pot. Place the rabbit or chicken pieces into the liquid. If the liquid does not come at least halfway up the sides of the hare pieces.
8. Cover tightly and place wild rabbit in 300 degree oven for 2.5 hours. Domestic rabbit and chicken should only cook for 1.5 hours. Check the Rabbit after 2 1/2 hours; it should be finished.
9. Serve with wild rice, a green salad and a good Cabernet Sauvignon.

This sounds awesome. I love rabbit. My dad used to hunt rabbit all the time. They are really good fried too. My wife thinks they are too cute to eat, so they are banned from my kitchen, if I want to stay married.

Southern Italian Rabbit Stew - YouTube

• 2 Cottontail rabbits or 8 chicken thighs
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 5 chopped garlic cloves
• 1 chopped onion
• 4 tablespoons capers or green peppercorns, “which ever you prefer”
• 1/4 cup chopped parsley Large pinch saffron
• 2 cups Hot water
• 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
• Salt and Pepper

Oh, you cruel person, you! One of Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit's sisters was called Cottontail. (Sob!)

I shall feel guilty every time I eat this ;)

This sounds awesome. I love rabbit. My dad used to hunt rabbit all the time. They are really good fried too. My wife thinks they are too cute to eat, so they are banned from my kitchen, if I want to stay married.
During WWII when meat was rationed in the UK anyone who lived in the country and had a gun, shot rabbits for the pot. If a friend or relative in the country sent one many people would tell their children it was chicken.

I like rabbit. I have never had wild rabbit, only farm raised. My wife says she does not like rabbit. But its because of the rabbit and has nothing to do with how it tastes.....LOL

Back when I used to eat rabbit I would only eat the back legs. The rest of it is just not to my taste.

I ate so much snowshoe hare a few winters, that I am not eager to eat rabbit again. I wouldn't say no if someone wanted to serve it to me. But, pay money for it? I don't think so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom