Squirrel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My cup runneth over in anticipation. :ermm:

I promised to try anything but rabbit...because...it's rabbit...bunnies! They are too cute!.....but then...so are squirrels....:shock:

Hmm....

~Kathleen

Go ahead and try it. They're not so cute on the plate.

I'll try it. I promised as long as it is not on my list of three things I never wish to try. That being said, if he tries to force-feed me, I'll definitely be sharing. It won't be pretty. ;)

I like squirrel, although there isn't as much meat on it as rabbit. Season with S&P, shake in a bag of flour, brown in skillet with your lipid of choice, then turn the heat down, add a little water, cover with lid and steam until tender. It makes great gravy to go with your mashed potatoes and biscuits.

I like squirrel, although there isn't as much meat on it as rabbit. Season with S&P, shake in a bag of flour, brown in skillet with your lipid of choice, then turn the heat down, add a little water, cover with lid and steam until tender. It makes great gravy to go with your mashed potatoes and biscuits.

Do you make the gravy like you would make with fried chicken?

Wait till he force-feeds you some collagenous squirrel ears, charred of its cutey, KA, share is as share gets. Let us know how it tastes, because I don't believe my P.Fiona that bacon solves everything either.

Bacon makes everything taste better. I think I would try it...I'm not promising I would eat it all.

i know it seems wrong, but i've heard they're really good with a peanut sauce... :)

you'll stuff your cheeks that it's so good.

I've got a friend who's an urban squirrel hunter with his trusty pellet gun and so got some of his bounty that fortunately he'd done all the prep work on, so just meat. It makes pretty good gumbo and needs watching as it cooks quickly. Gotta say it's not my favorite meat, but with enough 'doctoring' it's acceptable.
BTW my wife calls squirrels---rats with good PR!

Pre-soak

You can also soak the squirrel in buttermilk or regular milk for a few hours before cooking to help the taste and tenderness. That's what I do for venision stew meat.

The smaller, (younger) Cat squirrels are fairly tender when floured and pan fried....
The larger Fox squirrels, both Red and Black, are better used in braising/stewing/smothering type recipes... Don't forget to save and cook the heads, especially in braising type recipes...Use the back of a soup spoon to 'pop' the head open (right between the eyes is your best target) Use your finger or the handle end of the spoon to scoop out the brain...very flavorful

Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

Don't forget to save and cook the heads, especially in braising type recipes...Use the back of a soup spoon to 'pop' the head open (right between the eyes is your best target) Use your finger or the handle end of the spoon to scoop out the brain...very flavorful

Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

Bob, you are braver than I am!

Don't forget to save and cook the heads, especially in braising type recipes...Use the back of a soup spoon to 'pop' the head open (right between the eyes is your best target) Use your finger or the handle end of the spoon to scoop out the brain...very flavorful

Have Fun and Enjoy!!!
Our DC forum is possibly the only hit you'll get if you google "yummy squirrel brains."

You know I have had squirl while back and it was actually yummy, but reading all of this kind f makes me sick, brrr yuk.... Don't know why. It's not any different than any other anymal.

Our DC forum is possibly the only hit you'll get if you google "yummy squirrel brains."

Wow, there actually were a couple. I most cases the "yummy" and the "squirrel brains" were seperate, but it seems squirrel brains have their fanbase, albeit small.
I've had teryaki squirrel and pan-fried, flour-and-egg dipped squirrel. It wasn't terrible, but I wasn't a big fan. I have no idea what type it was, the college freshman boys who I brought to hunt in the woods behind our neighborhood were slightly less than discerning. It was a few years back though, and my palate has widened immensely since then, so I'd try it again if I had the chance.

I have never eaten squirrel.I would if given the chance and didn't have to butcher it.

If any of you want some please come to my house.You can have all you want.
I used to shoot them to keep the population down but the wife freaks when I do it so I stopped.They drive me nuts!
They dig up my lawn and pots too.They tore up a outdoor swing the same week I bought it.I am surrounded by them!

Squirrle in the day...Rats at night.I prefer the rats!They just run across the wires at dusk and don't make a mess of my yard.

last time I had squirrel it was the big gray ones not red squirrel ,tasted like spotted owl or whooping crane ,I couldn't decide.

That's exactly like my grandma cooked it. She usually served it with biscuits to sop up the gravy or sometimes over rice with some type of (vinegar/sugar and bacon grease) scalded greens. sometimes she browned the squirrel in bacon grease. I really don't understand how grandpa lived to be 90!

I believe that food prepared with love is better for you. So is food eaten with joy and appreciation.

Back
Top Bottom