Venison Bologna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
39817-albums371-picture5681.jpg

That looks good, salt and pepper. My husband and I used to make summer sausage from his yearly deer hunting trips (if he got one :)), and jerky. Made for some mighty fine eats. :)

That looks good, salt and pepper. My husband and I used to make summer sausage from his yearly deer hunting trips (if he got one :)), and jerky. Made for some mighty fine eats. :)
Have you posted your recipe for summer sausage? If not, would you please? :pig:

Well , I love it , but what is it ? What is bologna ? It looks great !!

AKA Baloney. Finely ground up spiced meat, like the inside of a hot dog, bigger, with a skin.

You can get it presliced, or in a big roll.

Dang, S&P, looks so good!

Last edited:
Deer bologna is more like a summer sausage or Hickory Farms beefstick though. At least what I've had. Not to be confused with "My baloney has a first name..." :LOL:

Have you posted your recipe for summer sausage? If not, would you please? :pig:

Oh my gosh, taxlady...it's been 20 years....I looked for it and remember some details, but cannot find the actual recipe. Hub and I have been divorced for decades but are still friends, maybe he can find it for me. lol. :LOL: In the meantime I should start a new thread so as not to hijack salt and pepper's bologna thread. :)

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, taxlady...it's been 20 years....I looked for it and remember some details, but cannot find the actual recipe. Hub and I have been divorced for decades but are still friends, maybe he can find it for me. lol. :LOL: In the meantime I should start a new thread so as not to hijack salt and pepper's bologna thread. :)
That would be much appreciated.

I will be glad to post a recipe, but at the time I'm busy hunting. So please give me some time. Sorry, hunting, butchering and cooking takes lots of time. Be glad to post recipes as time allows me. Thanks all for asking. You can PM me any time and I will be happy to share. Joey

Venison Bologna:

3 1/2 lbs lean venison, course ground
1 1/2 lbs pork butt, course ground
2 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp sea salt
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp course black pepper
1 tsp pink salt (93.75 percent salt & 6.25 percent nitrite)
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp Coleman's dry mustard
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup ice water

Mix all ingredients in the bowl of a kitchen Aid mixer, fitted with the mixing paddle.
Mix at medium speed and add the ice water, mix for a minute or two,until the mixture feels sticky. If no mixer is available you can mix with your hands, this will take a little more time and mussel! Once mixed you can stuff in fibrous sausage casings, I like the larger size for this. Leave the sausages in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to over night. If you would like to smoke them, set smoker to 180-200 degrees and cook till the internal temp reaches 150-160 degrees. If you want to bake them, set the oven to 200-250 degrees and cook till the internal temp reaches 160 degrees. When done
chill sausages in an ice bath till cool. Refrigerate over night. Then dig in!

One note: keep all meat as cold as possible.

Am none the wiser re what baloney is either , trying to work out the equivalent we may have here . Possibly something like liver sausage .

Anyhow, a big sausage thing , I get it , and I am a fan .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom