"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 08-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
Master Chef

Venison Brats

Last fall, my husband and I made venison brats, using a packaged seasoning mix, venison hams and pork butts. It is very flavorful, but awfully dry...we know now that we should have put some fatback in it.
It's too good not to use...I was wondering what suggestions you all might have for cooking it so it tastes juicier.
We did try wrapping it with bacon to grill it, and that was better, but still just so-so.
I have also thought about cooking it smothered with caramilized onions and peppers in a tomato sauce.

Any ideas?

Old 08-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
Master Chef

if it's raw i was thinking maybe you could peel the casings off and re-grind it with some fat. of course the texture would change, but it might be worth thinking about.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
Executive Chef

What about using one of those 'Cajun injector' thingies, to inject some oil into it before you cook it?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I think the tomato and onion idea sounds delish!!

If Paulie shoots a deer this year ( please!! Please!! PLEASE),
I may write to you for some cooking hints. I love venison
but, have never cooked it.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Master Chef

I never thought about using the injector, Marmalady. That's a thought.
Pdswife, let me know and I'll be glad to help you out. Out of 350 lbs of venison the guys brought home last year, the Italian sausage, salami and brats are all I have left. We have eaten all the loins and roasts.
We've had it in chili, vegetable soup, venison roasts with vegies, venison and noodles, Italian venison, BBQ venison, and marinated grilled tenderloins.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I never thought about using the injector, Marmalady. That's a thought.
Pdswife, let me know and I'll be glad to help you out. Out of 350 lbs of venison the guys brought home last year, the Italian sausage, salami and brats are all I have left. We have eaten all the loins and roasts.
We've had it in chili, vegetable soup, venison roasts with vegies, venison and noodles, Italian venison, BBQ venison, and marinated grilled tenderloins.
Thanks! If he gets one I'll be sure to contact you!
Old 09-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I goofed similarly a few years ago producing some excellent tasting sawdust stuffed into a casing.

I have been making venison sausage for years and have found the best combination to be this: Venison, of course. The second ingrediant is a 50% pork (that is, pork that is 50% fat/50% lean.........can get it at butcher shop.........Boston Butt is too lean.)
I do a 60/40 mix of the venison/pork making the final mix about 20% fat, which gives plenty of moisture and minimizes the chest pain a few years down the road. Be certain to add plenty of water to the mix before it goes into the casing. Lotsa flavor. I have my own spice mix I have toyed with over the years. I smoke the stuff myself.

Getting to your present dilema. I would suggest larding (lengthwise) each link with a slice of thick bacon before cooking. Larding also makes a dry, tough venison roast more juicy and flavorful.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
Master Chef

Thanks for the great info, Chef DO...I will paste and save that for the next time we make them. I wonder if you'd share your spice mix recipe...I wasn't very happy with the packaged stuff we used.
I ended up making a great meal with some of the sausages. I put them in a kettle with crab boil and Bayou Blast, a stick or 2 of butter, boiling onions, new red potatoes, corn on the cob and shrimp. Then the next day, I used some of that good broth to braise a mess of cabbage.
I have another question...how would suggest I go about getting the bacon in the sausage?
Old 09-13-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Larding the sausage

Gotta get creative for this one. I have a surgical tool that works great but I've never seen anything similar at the kitchen shops.
You'll need something long, stiff, and skinny that can run the brat through from end-to-end, creating a hole large enough to accommodate a slice of thick bacon. Actually a half slice (lengthwise, fat only) would probably do. One could whittle a wooden chopstick..... a piece of yardstick.......anything about 3/8ths inch wide and not nearly that thick.......if your hubby is a deerhunter he can figure it out. Hey! How about a brand new sharpened pencil?
After one creates the hole lengthwise in the brat..........run a smaller stick back thru the hole,(a skinny wooden kabob skewer ya get at the grocery..a piece of coathanger?) then tie one end of the raw bacon onto the skewer then simply pull thru.

Give it a try and let me know.

Recipe...........will get back with you later. I've got to find it. Brain is searching, but fuse keeps blowing...........where did I put that darned recipe?!

Chef DO
Old 09-13-2005, 05:30 PM   #10
Master Chef

I've got it now...I have a big crochet hook that will work great!
Two heads are better than one!

Tags
None