"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 10-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Some Like it Hot

Venison Chili Recipes???

Hi!!

I want to try and make vension chili. This is my first time using venison in cooking. Anyone have any venison chili recipes they can vouche for?

I had another question, is it common to mix beef or any other meats in with the venison? I'm using ground venison.

Thank you!

Old 10-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I mix beef fat with with venison prior to grinding for "hamburger"....Pork fat...some times a little pork meat prior to grinding when making sausage.

You favorite beef chili recipe will work for ground venison.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Head Chef

Hi SLH,
Don't know where you got your ground venison from, but you may find it neccesary to ad some fat to your mix as venison is naturally lean. Maybe mix in some minced bacon, and some cubed chuck roast with the fat included. After that, you can pretty much use any chile recipe. Just adapt the seasoning to your taste, write down your season measurements and change what you don't like from batch to batch. Just don't forget to log your changes.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Some Like it Hot

Thank you Uncle Bob and JohnL. I did not realize that using venison would be that easy. Thanks for the information!!

JohnL - I made the purchase from Black Wing. Have you ever heard of them? It appears to be pretty lean, so I suspect that I will be adding fat.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I just use my regular old chili recipe. Uncle Bob is right though Venison has less fat so if you are using it for any thing like meat balls you'll want to add some pork or something.

Good luck. Venison is great!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Venison chili? I'll agree partway with the others to use your favorite chili recipe and treat it like regular burger, but I myself would not add anything like fat to it. That's the beauty of using venison for chili, tacos.... all those foods you typically need to drain the grease off of when using regular beef burger. Since you bought it already ground I'm sure it already has a little fat added to it. I would use it as is.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Master Chef

One year DH and the grandson brought home 8 deer, and we had venison everything.
For my chili, I chop up a roast into bite-sized pieces, season with S&P, heat up a big pot, and brown them in a little oil. I then set the meat aside, and cook up some hot pork sausage (I like Jimmy Dean) along with a large chopped onion and a chopped green pepper. Add 2-3 tsp minced garlic toward the last.
Next comes Bush's Best Chili Beans, including the sauce, however many you want. I use two to four large cans, depending on how many people I want to feed.
I then add a couple 29 oz. cans of tomato sauce and 4 16 oz cans of diced tomatoes.
As it simmers, start adding the seasoning...salt, pepper, a little brown sugar, heavy on the chili powder, and cumin to taste.
Then we simmer and taste, adding Louisiana Hot Sauce and other seasonings as needed.

I don't get into the hot peppers and such, but if you do, go for it! Just remember, less is more.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
Cook

I don't like to mix the beef with the venison flavors so I use EVOO to keep my venison/elk/buffalo from burning when I brown it. That's the only difference I use when I substitute other meats for beef in my chili recipe.

LL
Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Like It Hot
I made the purchase from Black Wing. Have you ever heard of them? It appears to be pretty lean, so I suspect that I will be adding fat.
There "appears" to be some added fat in the pictures of the grind on the web site...You may be fine using it "as is" ....fry up a small "hamburger" patty over medium heat and you will know....

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
Some Like it Hot

Yes Uncle Bob, I looked at the package I got and it does have fat. I would say about 85/15 ratio, so I should be good with just going with the venison. I thought people combined the meats to avoid the wild taste it has.

Constance, thanks so much for you insight. You definately sound like someone who has been around the block a few times with deer meat. I may have more questions if that is ok? (Know anything about elk sirloin????) LOL!

I think as a few others haven mentioned, I would love to just try a chili using only venison. So that is something I think I will try for Sunday's dinner!

Thanks so much for your help! Looking forward to the new flavors!!!!

Tags
None