"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 10-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Master Chef

Venison Chorizo

I'm at Sprouts house, thoroughly enjoying my granddaughters. This morning, I thought I'd make omelets for the crew. So I looked in the fridge and saw ground venison. I wondered how I could incorporate the meat into the omelet. I thought of breakfast sausage made with the venison, sage, salt, pepper, etc. I couldn't find the sage, or even thyme, though Sprout assured me that she had some. So my next thought was to make a venison chorizo, sans alcohol. Here's how I made it, and it came out really good.
Ingredients:
1/2 lb. ground venison (very lean)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. coarse grind black pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1/8 tsp. ground coriander
1/8 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. ground paprika

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place into a frying pan and brown until cooked through.

The gamey flavor of the venison worked perfectly with the southwestern herb/spice flavorings to create a very good chorizo. This blend would make great carne asada, with a bit of cilantro, lime, and fresh peppers added, or would be perfect as a taco/burrito filling. The venison flavor adds just the right flavor profile. I'm really happy with this combination. Hope you get the chance to try it. Oh, and it worked great in the omelt.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Man!!!!!!!!! Sounds good!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Ouch! Ouch! I'm kicking myself in the ***. My parents have two freezers full of venison. I didn't think to bring some back...next time. I bought a meat grinder last week but couldn't remember the cut of pork to buy, so I didn't buy any when I was at the grocery store today. I am craving my potato-kale-chorizo soup. I'm definitely going to try this and am definitely going to bring back venison in addition to walleye next time I go to MN.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I've been making my own chorizo for years because the commercial product just turns to grease when you fry it. I've done beef and prok, and lately I've been using turkey, but my all time favorite is goat.

Here's my recipe:

CHORIZO

2 pounds ground beef, goat, pork, or turkey
4 cloves mashed garlic
6 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs oregano
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs water
2 Tbs vinegar
1½ tsp sugar
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, divide in four, roll into four logs, and wrap each log with plastic wrap, twisting the ends to secure. If you like it mild, use Ancho chili powder, if you like it spicy, use New Mexico chili powder
Old 10-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I've been making my own chorizo for years because the commercial product just turns to grease when you fry it. I've done beef and prok, and lately I've been using turkey, but my all time favorite is goat.

Here's my recipe:

CHORIZO

2 pounds ground beef, goat, pork, or turkey
4 cloves mashed garlic
6 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs oregano
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs water
2 Tbs vinegar
1½ tsp sugar
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, divide in four, roll into four logs, and wrap each log with plastic wrap, twisting the ends to secure. If you like it mild, use Ancho chili powder, if you like it spicy, use New Mexico chili powder
Depending on where, and what the white-tail deer are eating, goat tastes surprisingly similar to venison. Blindfolded, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.
SirLoin of Beef, I trust that you agree about the slight gamey flavor and the
chorizo spices working so well together. And your recipe looks great.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ground venison, recipe, spices

Venison Chorizo I'm at Sprouts house, thoroughly enjoying my granddaughters. This morning, I thought I'd make omelets for the crew. So I looked in the fridge and saw ground venison. I wondered how I could incorporate the meat into the omelet. I thought of breakfast sausage made with the venison, sage, salt, pepper, etc. I couldn't find the sage, or even thyme, though Sprout assured me that she had some. So my next thought was to make a venison chorizo, sans alcohol. Here's how I made it, and it came out really good. Ingredients: 1/2 lb. ground venison (very lean) 1/4 tsp. kosher salt 1/4 tsp. coarse grind black pepper 1 tsp. chili powder 1/2 tsp chopped garlic 1/8 tsp. ground coriander 1/8 tsp. ground cayenne pepper 1/4 tsp. ground paprika Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place into a frying pan and brown until cooked through. The gamey flavor of the venison worked perfectly with the southwestern herb/spice flavorings to create a very good chorizo. This blend would make great carne asada, with a bit of cilantro, lime, and fresh peppers added, or would be perfect as a taco/burrito filling. The venison flavor adds just the right flavor profile. I'm really happy with this combination. Hope you get the chance to try it. Oh, and it worked great in the omelt. Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North 3 stars 1 reviews