Venison jerky help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roo_1683

Assistant Cook
Hey there to all you fellow cookers! It's that time of year again and hubby has been spending his days this past week out in the woods with his gun and covered in deer pee! I don't know why that seems so fun for them but hey...I enjoy the jerky and trail bologna as much as the next girl. However...I have ran into a problem! I have all the ingredients to make the bologna and have put the 36# of meat I had into 12 3# skins. I put 4 "tubes" into the oven and cooked them for 2 hrs on 225 but they still didn't seem done. Then this morning I put them in for another 2 hrs being sure they reached 156 degrees and they STILL don't feel done.
They are extremely pink in the center(Which I know they are pose to be) and very moist...to the point that it is crumbling when I cut into it. Anyone know why it would be doing this? I don't want to waste the other 8 tubes if I am not cooking them right. We put 30# of deer and mixed it with 6# of lean hamburger then put all the dry spices...2 bottles of liquid smoke and it would be a total of 2.5 cups of water. Mixed it all and let it sit for a few hours...stuffed the skins then let them sit in frige for 2 days. Any help would be great.
Also if anyone has any recipes for ground deer burger jerky I would love to hear some! We have a jerky gun and ran out of the pre packaged spice but would like to come up with our own.

Thanks in advance!!!
~Roo :chef:

Hi, Roo:

Welcome to Disucss Cooking. You'll like it here.

I am not an expert, but someone will be along soon to help.

Roo, the lean ground beef was your problem. You need to add pork butt and fatback. The reason it's crumbly is because it doesn't have enough fat.

I figured that was my mistake. The recipe I used was my dad's and he actually does use 6# of sausage but my hubby wanted me to sub that out for hamburger and see if it worked. He thought it would but I'm seeing it didn't. I'm affraid it didn't cook all the way but I let it reach 186' then pulled it out. Grease wasn't a prob though...the meat is covered in it! :( I had to take a towel and wipe some off after I cut open the skins this morning to pre-cut a stick for tonight "carving of the deers" party LOL They have 4 hanging so we have a long night ahead of us!

Bugs said:
i was just going to say maybe it had pee:sick: all over it but the fat thing works.

Hehehe It better not or I'll have to beat him and all of his buddies!! Do hunters really pour that stuff on them or is it to just dump on the ground where your standing? I would pass either way. I'm not a hunter...just an eater! :)

dhampir said:
:chef: Do you need any jerky recipes?
let me know

I could always use more recipes. I'm out of deer meat now but that time of year will be here soon enough so I mise well prepare! Thanks in advance and I'll take any sort of recipe that contains deer meat in it...:chef:

:chef:do you have a e-mail address that i can send them?

Roo_1683? what

Roo_1683 said:
I could always use more recipes. I'm out of deer meat now but that time of year will be here soon enough so I mise well prepare! Thanks in advance and I'll take any sort of recipe that contains deer meat in it...:chef:

Last edited:
This really got resurrected. I also wonder if she shouldn't have used some meat cure like Tender Quick.

:chef: I have sent the jerky recipes to your yahoo e-mail address the rest of the recipes are zipped if you need more let me know and happy hunting get a big buck! this year 12 points "ha ha":LOL: :LOL:

Roo_1683 said:
Yes please!!!!

Back
Top Bottom