"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 12-02-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Exclamation Venison jerky help

Hey there to all you fellow cookers! It's that time of year again and hubby has been spending his days this past week out in the woods with his gun and covered in deer pee! I don't know why that seems so fun for them but hey...I enjoy the jerky and trail bologna as much as the next girl. However...I have ran into a problem! I have all the ingredients to make the bologna and have put the 36# of meat I had into 12 3# skins. I put 4 "tubes" into the oven and cooked them for 2 hrs on 225 but they still didn't seem done. Then this morning I put them in for another 2 hrs being sure they reached 156 degrees and they STILL don't feel done.
They are extremely pink in the center(Which I know they are pose to be) and very moist...to the point that it is crumbling when I cut into it. Anyone know why it would be doing this? I don't want to waste the other 8 tubes if I am not cooking them right. We put 30# of deer and mixed it with 6# of lean hamburger then put all the dry spices...2 bottles of liquid smoke and it would be a total of 2.5 cups of water. Mixed it all and let it sit for a few hours...stuffed the skins then let them sit in frige for 2 days. Any help would be great.
Also if anyone has any recipes for ground deer burger jerky I would love to hear some! We have a jerky gun and ran out of the pre packaged spice but would like to come up with our own.

Thanks in advance!!!
~Roo

Old 12-02-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi, Roo:

Welcome to Disucss Cooking. You'll like it here.

I am not an expert, but someone will be along soon to help.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks Andy!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Master Chef

Roo, the lean ground beef was your problem. You need to add pork butt and fatback. The reason it's crumbly is because it doesn't have enough fat.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
Executive Chef

yup, needs fat, and pork works well with deer
Old 12-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #6
Senior Cook

i was just going to say maybe it had pee all over it but the fat thing works.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:00 PM   #7
Executive Chef

What everyone else here said. Welcome to DC, Roo, nice to see another Ohioan on the board!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I figured that was my mistake. The recipe I used was my dad's and he actually does use 6# of sausage but my hubby wanted me to sub that out for hamburger and see if it worked. He thought it would but I'm seeing it didn't. I'm affraid it didn't cook all the way but I let it reach 186' then pulled it out. Grease wasn't a prob though...the meat is covered in it! :( I had to take a towel and wipe some off after I cut open the skins this morning to pre-cut a stick for tonight "carving of the deers" party LOL They have 4 hanging so we have a long night ahead of us!

~Rhondie Roo
Roo_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs
i was just going to say maybe it had pee all over it but the fat thing works.

Hehehe It better not or I'll have to beat him and all of his buddies!! Do hunters really pour that stuff on them or is it to just dump on the ground where your standing? I would pass either way. I'm not a hunter...just an eater!

~Rhondie Roo
Roo_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to dhampir Send a message via MSN to dhampir Send a message via Yahoo to dhampir
Smile Jerky Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo_1683
Thanks Andy!!!
Do you need any jerky recipes?
let me know

Tags
None