Venison loin and heart recipe suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubba_sybo

Cook
Aint no quitters tills we gets our critters!!

:mrgreen: I was told she weighs about 130 pounds dere, aye. I brought home her heart and 2 loins...the ones you can just reach in and cut out real easy after guttin ' em.

Any suggestions on making them a great dinner??

Attachments

• got my critter.jpg
    got my critter.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 446
I"m not sure how to get them out of the deer but venison heart is one of my favorite dinners! Yummmy! Hey... didn't you take the liver and the rest of the meat? Fresh Liver is soooooooooooo good.

didn't take the liver, but I never been a liver fan. have to try it next time I do put turkey livers and assorted other innards incluning pulled neckbone in my TG day stuffins, I just don't tell noone.
As for the heart,I was going to just eat it raw like a real yooper would, aye! But I was told to soak it in some salt water, then slice it thinly and coat it with flower and fry it in butter. I was thinking soak, slice, batter with Drake's crispy fry mix (good stuff, highly recomended) and deep fry it up:)
The rest of the deer is hanging up....we usually do that for about 5-6 days. So i will be on the lookout for some more venison recipies. I am gonna have to make me some venison pasties and jerky. Any suggestions?:mrgreen:

I wish I did have some suggestions... but so far even though hubby goes out hunting he's never shot anything... He did meet some folks last season and they gave him the heart and liver though..

For the liver I just slice thinly and dust with seasoned flour and fry in olive oil.

The heart I boil with onions, celery and a little garlic. I've never tired frying it.

Have fun eating!
And congrats on your deer!

We eat a lot of venison. All my husband brings home are the loins and the hams. He and some other guys go in together to have venison salami made from the scraps. He's gotten 3 so far this year, but late season is coming up, and hopefully he will get another one.

Here is a foolproof recipe for a deer loin. Peel off all the silverskin, cut into big chunks, and put in a crockpot. Add a package of dry onion soup mix and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Cover and cook on low until tender. It will make it's own gravy. Toward the last, I put in baby carrots and canned potatoes...sometimes even a drained can of Roma (flat Italian) green beans.

Or...Put chunked meat in a crockpot with one beer and a package of Good Season's Zesty Italian Dressing mix. Cook on low until falling apart. Spoon on to buns and serve with pepperoncini on the side.

I have more, if you need them...swiss steak, venison and noodles, venison stew...

Attachments

• Kim resized.jpeg
    Kim resized.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 845
  • Kim resized 2.jpeg
    Kim resized 2.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
nice gun there is it a muzzle loader?

I end up not deep frying the heart was a tad tough that way. I did the following instead

trimmed all fat, veiny things, who haas, and what nots, boil some water and throw scraps in there. season the water with some,garlic salt season salt (stock for gravy later). put it in the fridge when finished

take the heart cut into thin strips and pound it to death, then dice it up wth a clever dere, throw it in a mixture of (about)
1/2 cup italian dressing
5 tb soy
5tb worshsisisire sauce
3 tb dijon mustard
5 tb hot sauce
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
juice of one clemontine orange
a ton of garlic
marinate overnight......

finely dice up one large onion, bout 5 taters, some carrots
take your meat out of marinade, drain it. fry it in a little butter , but dont over cook ya want it a lil rare

combine uncooked veggies, cooked meat, then make gravy with the nummers left in the bottom of the pan that you fried your heart in. use the stock you made here.....by now hope it's been in the frige and yoou can skim all the fat off the top add gravy to mixture of cooked meat and veggies

now all ya gotta do is make some dough and u r almost eating.
you can be a slacker and use store bought dough or look for the recipe on here.I found a good one and its pretty easy ...just added a little garlic and some salt and pepper.

spray your pan with a lil pam and start rolling and foldin....in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees they go...brush tops with a lil well beaten eggs when they are almost done( I even season that) sometimes I even hit the tops with a lil doctored up BBQ sauce during the last few minutes.

you dont have to use heart almost any meat will do....but it turned out tender, not gamey at all

Last edited:
Constance... three deer?
In Washington we're only allowed to shoot one a year... and it has to be a buck...and they are pretty picky about the size too. You must have a LOT more deer in Il.

Yep, it's a muzzle loader. HB is quite proud of it.

PDS, we have an over-abundant deer population here. It's not uncommon for me to see as many as 10 at a time in my field and woods. Sometimes the big old buck comes out of the woods across the field, where there's a pond, and uses my back yard for romantic activity.
The deer run out on the highway and cause numerous accidents...When they're in rut, they go kinda crazy, and do things like crashing through windows into people's houses...and they decimate the farmers crops to such an extent that it is legal for a farmer to shoot them on his property at any time. All he needs is a permit from the game warden. Of course, that's what makes them so good to eat...they are corn and bean fed.
Last year, my husband and grandson together shot 8 dear. The only beef we bought all year was ground chuck...I'm not crazy about deer burgers. We made venison brats, hot Italian venison sausage, mild Italian venison sausage, and had deer salami made.

sorry had to come back and finish post and add this

this is what they look like .....turned out good I thought, should have took the pic with one cut open sos yous can sees whats in dere aye?

so do I go with gravy or ketchup on top???

we have more deer in this couny than any other county in MI...
I see them walking around right behind my house.
I made jerky with the loin btw.....good stuff :)

Attachments

• pasties.jpg
    pasties.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Beautiful pasties, Bubba...what all did you put in them?
I could go with catsup or gravy either one. Cream gravy would sure be good.

Constance-Deer heart,onions taters carrots venison based gravy
all the ingredients were in the first page.

Nobody but my hunting buddy and I seem to want any ( I dunno why). Thay taste pretty good...the meat was tough till I pounded and marinated it. Most people use beef....but u can put anything in em....it's a glorified hot pocket. But here in MI we take dem pasties seriously. Made jerky out of the loins but that is another recipie.....:chef:

thanks everyone for the suggestions and keep em coming. I am going to have alot more here in a few days and I plan on "processing" it myself, so they are appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry...my mind wasn't processing properly.
I saw a thing about pasties on Food Network. They started out as a way for a guy to transport his lunch to work. I think they put just about anything in them. From what I understand, the crust is not a tender and flaky one, but a sturdier container to hold in the filling.
Am I right?

Constance said:
the crust is not a tender and flaky one, but a sturdier container to hold in the filling.
Am I right?

I have found a few variations here in MI. Some are a tender flaky crust( so da fudgees don't hert dere teeth dere) and others have a hard dense crust crust. I usually try to go by what the filling is. If the filling is moist you want a harder denser crust so it dont get all soggy. A "true" yooper pasty like day made in the old days would probably have a harder crust (so yous could put er in yer pocket on your way into the copper mines). Just like it would probably have whatever was left in the pot from the night before. If the filling is kinda dry a flaky crust is best imho....

Back
Top Bottom