Venison out the whazoo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
My neighbor filled both of his deer tags in three days. He gave me the rib racks from one of them, and the front legs from both. I've got one shoulder clod in my smoker right now, that's been in there for almost 5 hours. I'm going to wrap it up and give it a couple hours in a slow oven to help tenderize it. I might even add some bacon to help keep it moist.

Lower legs can be made like lamb shanks. Specially if you cook them in a clay pot with some bacon on top of the shank. A lotta lower deer legs are wasted because people don't seem to want to be bothered cooking them the above mentioned way.

OMG I am soooooooo jealous. I am still only at duck, dove, and rabbit hunting level. Haven't made it up to the big game yet. The thought of backstrap medallions sauteed in brown butter sauce makes me quiver. Please give details on how you smoked yer honch and include any pictures you may have taken. At least I can live vicariously through you! :LOL:

Jim

My neighbor filled both of his deer tags in three days. He gave me the rib racks from one of them, and the front legs from both. I've got one shoulder clod in my smoker right now, that's been in there for almost 5 hours. I'm going to wrap it up and give it a couple hours in a slow oven to help tenderize it. I might even add some bacon to help keep it moist.

My husband says not to saw the bones into pieces, which would give the dish a nasty taste. Venison bones are not like beef or pork bones.

He also says to smoke ribs, legs and all...that's the best thing to do with them.

Hi Constance, I am not a venison expert by any means but I would think that the marrow in the bones would be were all the flavor is. Is the marrow gamey and that is why?

Jim

My husband says not to saw the bones into pieces, which would give the dish a nasty taste. Venison bones are not like beef or pork bones.

He also says to smoke ribs, legs and all...that's the best thing to do with them.

Ohhhh Loprraine... I'm thinking venison sausage gravy and some home made biscuits!!!!!

Hi Constance, I am not a venison expert by any means but I would think that the marrow in the bones would be were all the flavor is. Is the marrow gamey and that is why? Jim

My husband has a lot of experience and gained wisdom from older hunters. They say the marrow is so gamey and nasty tasting that it will ruin the flavor of the meat you are cooking.

We have so many deer here that, while beautiful, they are a real nuisance. They ravage the farmers' crops and get out the highway, causing a LOT of accidents. We have 3 or 4 seasons here, and Kim gets tags for all of them. Bow hunting is allowed pretty much all winter, and farmers can kill deer on their own property without buying tags. I know one guy who's cornfield comes right up to the house, and he shoots them out his kitchen window.

I love the deer that visit me, and they know they are safe here, but I have no problem digging into a big plate of venison stew.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tidbits of info! I was thinking about taking the shanks in to work, and using the bone saw we have to cut them up, but now, I'll just treat them like Osso Bucco without cutting them up.

I tried to make some venison sausage years ago. It didn't really work out. It "smeared" and clogged up the die plate on the grinder with connective tissue. I don't know if it's just that the grinder wasn't powerful enough to cut the connective tissues, or if the connective tissues in deer are tougher than pig or beef. I do know that you'd have to basically remove ALL of the connective tissue.

If we have a grinder at work, I may try to grind some of the venison there, using the 40 qt stand mixer (much more powerful than a KitchenAid 5qt). Not sure if I'll turn it into sausage, or just use it for chili.

The deer aren't really a problem around here. OK is not as heavily populated as many places back east, and much of the farmland is cattle/horse pasture. So, the deer are pretty much wild, and graze wild. Up in MI, when I lived there, the deer were EVERYWHERE, and were a major problem. They were also grain-fed, as much of the farmland up there is planted in corn and soy. Lots of accidents, and dead deer on the highways.

Yes, I did take some pics. I may try to get them uploaded at a later date, and post them, but right now, on this crappy 56K connection, it takes to long to upload the pics.

Allen, thing is, deer have a lot more connective tissue. When we made sausage a few years ago, I cleaned as much as the silverskin off as I could. After a little practice, you'll get the hang of how to angle the knife so you get the membrane and not the meat. My husband is too impatient to do a very good job, so I take over that part.

Pretty tough to split a deer without cutting through bone.
I usually save trimmed bones and meat whose fat is impractical to remove for making soup. The tallow is more easily removable when it solidifies on the top of the broth. Birds (and squirrels) around here seem to prefer deer tallow to beef suet; perhaps because it doesn't soften as readily. Gamyness seems to be mostly a function of what deer have been eating, and how the deer was butchered.
Mad cow disease has me wondering whether splitting deer through the spinal column may have become a bad idea.

Back when I first tried to make venison sausage, I wasn't really that good are removing silverskin. Now, however, I'm very proficient in that skill. I'll have to bring my boning knife home from work, though.

justplainbill, I wouldn't worry about Mad Cow disease (Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis, in humans it's called Crutchfeld-Yacob or something like that). Critters get that by ingesting nervous tissue that contains the prion (an oddly-shaped protein, not a germ or virus) that causes the tissue degeneration. The only critters I know of that get this disease are cows that are fed meal made from ground-up beef carcasses, and a tribe of people, in the Phillipines, if I remember right, that used to practice ritual endo-cannabalism.

I've also heard that about half of the people on the planet are genetically pre-disposed to get Crutchfeld-Yacob, and the rest are genetically "immune" do this disease.

Back
Top Bottom