"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game
Old 04-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
Master Chef
They sell it at my local supermarket. But, like Andy says, ASK for it.

jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
Head Chef
Have never seen it on sale, but have had it a number of times in restaurants.

It is lean and tasty.

But the stuff I have had, and agree with Andy M here, we didn't consider it all that different from beef, particularly home ground beef which is lean, and which we usually make.

But try it and enjoy.

Don't know if I would add the ground chuck however, particularly on the first attempt.

Maybe others have a different opinion.

Would suggest when you get some, take a tad and fry it up plain, and see how you like it. Then decide.

Take care.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:50 PM   #13
Sous Chef
Heck, you can come up here to Elk Island Park and bag one of your own!
"Mmmmmm. Floor pie."
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Whole Foods carries it, as does Trader Joe's, I believe. Most of the 'upscale' groceries are carrying it, also.

As for FoodTV recipes - I think they should all come with a 'watcher, beware' label, unless the chef/celeb has a proven talent with recipes - and even then there have been disasters when home cooks try to reproduce recipes.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #15
Master Chef
Wal-Mart carries 16-oz packages of ground 90/10 Bison (American Buffalo) for about $4.50 in my area. I have been told by my meat guy there that they plan to start carrying other cuts like steaks, roasts, etc. too. As others have said - if you don't see it, ask the guys in the meat department.

As for the Buffalo Burger recipe .... I would never do that to good ground bison! I think bison has a sweeter, less gamy, more delicate flavor than beef and by adding all of that "stuff" (ground chuck, tomato paste, liquid smoke, etc.) you'll never taste the bison! Just make your patties out of straight bison (8-oz is a nice size), grill, and serve on a fresh lightly toasted bun with lettuce, tomato and a thin slice of onion. My favorite place in Denver didn't use anything else - they just pulled the meat off the grill and put it on the bun and put the top on for about a minute (to allow the meat juices to moisten the bun) - then added the lettuce, tomato and onion. No steak sauces, mayo, mustard, or slices of pickles - these were served on the side and few people (except for tourists) ever used them.

My son just brought me a pound of ground bison and that's the way I'm going to cook it. I find that the KISS principle really works some times.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote