"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game
Old 03-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
Where do I find ground buffalo meat?

Saw this on Food Network today. I'd like to try this, however I don't know the first place to look for ground buffalo meat.
Does anyone have a clue where I should look?
I'm in Michigan, USA.

1 1/2 pounds ground buffalo
1/2 pound ground chuck
1 medium onion, finely chopped, about 1 cup
3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
4 hamburger buns, for serving

Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high.

Put the buffalo, chuck, onion, tomato paste, and liquid smoke in a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Mix everything together with your hands until it is well combined. Take about 1 cup (8 ounces) of the meat mixture and form it into patties with your hands or in a hamburger press. When you have them all made, grill them, turning frequently, until cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes total. (Alternately, cook them in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.) Serve on hamburger rolls with the toppings of your choice.

vanwingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Cook
Buffalo meat is kind of a specialty thing. We have a grocery store out here that carries it a few times a year, and I'm always sure to stock up. Your best bet to find it is to find an honest-to-god butcher shop in your area, or find the local "boutique" grocery store (ya know, the one where everything is more expensive, they sell a lot of organic and off-the-wall stuff, etc.)

Though I will let ya in on one thing: I tried that recipe (came from Ham on the Street--I always try one recipe from each cook on TV to see whether or not their vision of food and mine are similar)...I wasn't impressed with it. Ended up paying 8 dollars for that sun dried tomato paste and didn't really feel it added anything to the dish, given how distinct the flavor of the buffalo is.

Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
Check you local supermarkets and butcher shops. You have to ask for it!!! Most stores are willing to order stuff for you if you ask. I have to ask my market to order duck breasts all the time because they don't have it in stock regularly.

Of course, you can order it online at any number of places.

Not to be a discouraging voice, but I have had buffalo burgers and they don't taste all that different. If you ate one not knowing what it was you'd just assume it was beef.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
Executive Chef
some people might find that meat a little bit sweeter than regular ground beef.
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
Sous Chef
"Mmmmmm. Floor pie."
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Senior Cook
Honestly, I prefer Buffalo. It's leaner, but has more flavor. It's also healthier and (to me) has a better texture
Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:43 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I buy it at Fred Meyers.....
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:14 AM   #8
Sous Chef
Our local A&P Supermarket carries it regularly- I have also seen it in Superfresh in Maryland (which is the same franchise).I think local supermarkets can get pretty much anything you ask for.I have also seen ground buffalo at Whole Foods stores and Stew Leonard's.
VickiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
our local supermarket carries it too, but i often bug a co-worker to bring it in from his neighbor from here: http://www.hillsidefarms.biz/buffalo_sales.html

i think they'll ship it in the u.s..
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
Assistant Cook
You could try http://www.showdownbison.com/ they are in the Gladwin area, have a store and also will ship or http://www.sprikfarms.com/ by Grand Rapids, in Troy Mi. Good Food Company East. Hope this Helps you out

The most indeispensable ingredient of all good home cooking is love for those you are cooking for....Sophia Loren

Marymc is offline   Reply With Quote