"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 07-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Good going?
You a rifle or bow man?
I started with a rifle and ended on a bow.
Got rid of the bow when my wife fell pregnant, now I use a butcher ;)

Old 07-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #12
Senior Cook

My dad used to walk to work and back along the railway. He'd often bring us a rabbit that he said had been hit by a train. I don't know why he was so lucky at it, because I used to walk miles on those same tracks, looking for mischief. I often found mischief but never a rabbit.

And I never understood why these train-killed rabbits always had tiny lead balls in them that hurt our teeth. But we just spat them out and kept eating.

And then there was our dad's recipe for poached salmon, which involved a knock on the kitchen door after us kids had gone to bed, and in the morning there'd be a lovely-looking poached salmon lying in the bathtub, with the cat going crazy trying to get at it.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:25 PM   #13
Master Chef

I'm guessing that the "poached" salmon does not involve simmering in a small amount of liquid, eh?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:28 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm guessing that the "poached" salmon does not involve simmering in a small amount of liquid, eh?
Oh, some of it got cooked that way, you betcha. We didn't have a fridge so it was kept in the bath with the water trickling. We (and the cat) ate nothing but salmon for the next three days.

But mom and dad were quite a pair at it. He'd come in the door, toss the rabbit to her, and she would pull off the head and skin it in about ten seconds sharp.

Years later, when we were living in a 50-room mansion, lording it with my dad as the clubmaster of a golf club and my mom (and us kids) as the caterers, he was sitting with members in the bar one day when a partridge stunned itself by smashing its way through a window. It literally fell in my dad's lap, and in a single motion he wrung its neck and slid it across the hall to my mom in the kitchen, who snatched it up. Neither of them spoke much about their childhoods, so I can only imagine where those reflexes came from.

It got written up in The Scotsman as: "Clubmaster gets a birdie on the 19th Hole."
Old 07-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

I could listen to stories of 'sustaining' one self all day long.
Thank you for sharing. Reminds me of being a kid and roaming farms with air rifles and eating what we shot.

Tags
None