"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 09-06-2004, 07:34 PM   #21
Head Chef

Tis possible the Scottish roots are callin', but I LOVE longhorn sheep. Dad and I went hunting for years all over the Southwest. Wild boar is also right up there.

Dadgummit. I miss the "gaminess" of game!

Old 09-09-2004, 06:48 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Deer and elk (I'm fletching arrows for deer season which starts in two weeks right now - first year hunting with a traditional bow. Dang if the zwickey's do not just *look* deadly sitting on the arrow).

Deer makes great spagetti, great meatballs, and some of the best ausage I've ever had. Elk has been some of the best chili I have ever had.

I'll also eat squirril (hopefully have one or two after scouting our lease - but then I'm hunting them with a bow so probably not). I have a few dove, not enough to make a meal of the breasts. I think I am going to try a soup or something this weekend before they go bad.

Western US birds aren't too good (well, except pheasant). They have plenty of flavor but even beaten to a pulp they are still like chewing gum. Or at least all I have had are - but being in east Tennessee I only get them from a few sources that travel out west to hunt. Been told that is because of the amount of flight per unti of food they have to do - dunno but the huns and woodcock I tried to eat were awful chewy (even if they did actually taste good).

Old 09-13-2004, 09:32 PM   #23
Senior Cook

woodduck...though it's hard to get enough to make a dinner, as the limit is small. Then any grain feeding wild goose who has the misfortune of coming down this way into the path of a friends/relatives gun. We eat what they kill and we cook them with all the respect that any 2,000 dinner would get......
southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:39 AM   #24
Master Chef

I like most, but can't say I'd go out of my way for goat, domestic or otherwise. Had it prepared by Vietnamese and African cooks, just don't care for it. One of my great moments as a home cook was when a friend called in Hawaii and said she was sick of her husband bringing home wild boar, did I want some? He arrived with a freshly butchered boar and we tossed it in the freezer. Made some great barbecue sandwiches and kabobs with it. I was surprised at how mild and lean it was. When we visited Canada we were thrilled at how much game is on the menus there, at least in the fall. Here I can regularly get deer venison tenderloin that is domestically raised. I kinda miss at least a little gamey flavor, but it is still delicous.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:41 PM   #25
Cook

Send a message via AIM to GaArt Send a message via Yahoo to GaArt
I just ate some Dove. Which taste like chicken hearts. My husband didn't like it at all. I can take it or leave it.

I like deer if it's been soaked in milk for a couple of hours or over night. Once I roasted a haunch of venison with bacon.. Really good.

I have eaten rabbit and it's ok. Taste like chicken.. as Eddie Izzard would say.
I used to eat squirrel too, but only like it stewed way down with lots of garlic and onion.

as for racoon and anything else. NOPE> I hate racoons. They ate all my koi.

I had duck once. But would like to try it again.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #26
Master Chef

Venison stew, jerky or sausage. The other day I had elk chili, it was great.
That is about the limit of my wild game eating.

SC

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:48 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Anything

I will eat anything that you can kill from duck rabbit venison etc. My all time favourite though is spit roast wild pork. I know traditional and boring but so very tasty.
Crocodile would have to come a close 2nd
venison 3
and rabbit especially off a barbeque is always a great little snack.
I must conffess though I would be a bit suspect on the road kill even if it was fresh, but hey chances are I would eat it, bit of picante sauce some blue cheese anything is good.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:24 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Buffalo and deer and elk top my list.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:57 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Venison, rabbit and hare are all staples in the Highlands of Scotland - and all readily available in our major cities.

Also - in season - grouse, ptarmigan, capercaillie, woodpigeon, pheasants.

My husband adores grouse - I can take it or leave it, but I cook it quite a bit as our friends seem to enjoy venison in the winter months.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #30
Senior Cook

I've eaten javelina sausage in AZ. it was o.k. I really liked the flavor of Kangaroo but not the texture a little chewy. Venison is my favorite.

Tags
None