"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game
Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
Senior Cook
[QUOTE=Constance;757647]I have several friends who hunt wild geese and then try to give the cleaned frozen birds away...nobody wants them. I've never eaten wild goose, but those around here who have do not like it.

Ugh!!! They don't know how to cook! Certainly, the wild ones are going to have more flavor and you will have to adjust your recipe. It is food don't waste it! If you are a culinary wimp, stick to the tame ones, otherwise use creativity.

pmeheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Thanks for digging up this thread. I have a whole specklebelly in the freezer my dad shot down on the coast. Having had his wild goose in the past, I will definitely braise this one!

texherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
So, I just returned from my local hay/feed dealer, who, after hearing me wax rhapsodic about the wonderful goose I roasted for Xmas advised that he would be out hunting them this week & would - hopefully - be bringing me one or two!!

While I've been making domestic roast goose (& Cassoulet from the leftovers) annually for over 30 years now, I've never tasted - or cooked - the wild variety.

Anyone here have any tips/recipes/ideas so I can plan ahead of time?
I have never cooked a goose ever but was going to do one for xmass this year , can you give me any pointers so i don't ruin it , I'm thinking there will be 6 or 7 of us having dinner at our house , so maybe a 10lb goose , i dont know help please LOL
carolynnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #14
Executive Chef
I think you will need a 12 to 13lbs bird.I just strip out any clumps of fat from the cavities, pick the skin all over, make a paste of salt and garlic and rub inside and out. I then leave the goose in a cool place for 24 hrs.I sometimes stuff the neck cavity but never the other end, if you have a good flap of neck skin you should be able to wack in about 1.5 lbs of lean pork mince stuffing in the front.
I put it on a trivet over a tin breast side up throw the fat clumps in the bottom, do not baste. Make the gravy out of the gib minus the liver.
When you have a fair amount of goose grease in the pan drain off and pour over a mix of parboiled spuds and parsnips and roast.
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
Smile thanks

thank you Bolas De fraile
"No matter what happens in the kitchen, never apologize"(Julia Child)
carolynnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
I have used a one of the recipes and it was great! this online fourm is turning out to be a great idea in joining!

A hunt and love wild goose, however hate it when someone cooks it improperly. That is kinda the way it is with all meats and just about anything you cook.

In tradition everyone i know uses bacon with their goose meat. I so as well as i do enjoy the taste of bacon with goose meat.
hotstuffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
Head Chef
I simply cut the breast off the bone, pound with a meat mallet and cook med rear on the BBQ grill. You can season to your liking or serve with a fruit or and wine sauce.
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
I grew up eating wild geese, ducks, and partridge. My grandma and my aunt would roast the whole bird--we just took the breasts and legs. My grandma and aunt would put bacon over the breast, add red wine, and roast like a chicken. My mom would take dust with flour, brown, and then bake it in the oven with cream of mushroom soup and red wine.

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote