5000 dollars!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
You walk outside this morning and sitting on your front steps is an blue envelope with your name on it. You open it and a check for $ 5,000 falls at your feet. Along with the check is this note.

Dear ______________
This money is for you to spend TODAY.
$ 1,000 of it must be given to your favorite charity.
$ 1,000 of it must be used to buy your spouse/partner something. If not married then a good friend will be the lucky one who gets a gift.
$ 1,000 of it must be used to take a trip somewhere.
$ 1,000 of it must be used to do home decorating or repairs.
The last $ 1,000 can be used any way you wish.
What charity would get your money? What would you buy a loved one or friend?
Where would you go?
What would you do to your home to improve it?
How would you spend the last $1,000

Dear Javier

What charity would get your money?
Probably one of my local youth groups or schools. I do live right smack in the middle of the projects and the people here are great, if anything they just need a little more support.

What would you buy a loved one or friend?
I would either exterminate one of my best friends many debts or send a solid $1000 check back home to the parents because I owe them a lot more than that. Likewise it could make a great gift for my sis who is getting married soon.

Where would you go?
Well I have a friend in Istanbul (Turkey) who has wanted me to go for years, likewise a friend in Osaka. If not I would grab a fistfull of friends and drag them down to Mexico with me traveling on a minimal budget so we can get a LOT out of it.

What would you do to your home to improve it?
Well I rent but I would use the money to convince my landlord to let me knock down this narrow wall that separates the kitchen from the living room so I could have some space to get creative when cooking.

How would you spend the last $1,000
Well Im about to get 1k for my tax return. Rent comes first and the other 500 would be turned into various dvd's, books, kitchen gadgets and other stuff I need but normally wouldent buy.

The only question I wish to answer is the charity.

A number of years ago, when something very tragic happened, the Salvation Army was there, no questions asked.

They get my unswerving support.

charity... cleveland clinic's children's hospital (if that counts)

loved one or friend... 1,000 cash

where would i go... good question have to think about that

home improvement... do whatever i can to the bathroom

how would i spend 1,000... pay off bills

I am not sure which charity I would pick, but it would probably be one for cancer or retarded people. My BIL is retarded and the state government is constantly cutting the budget for supporting people like him. I have known so many people with cancer that I really would like so money to go to finding a cure.

Hmm what would I buy my wife? Well she wants a new car more than anything right now so I could use that as part of a down payment.

I would go somewhere warm. Maybe California or New Orleans or maybe take a cruise. Yeah I think I would take DW on a nice cruise!

To improve my house I would do one of two things. Either I would install some track lighting in my living room or I would put in a better access point to my attic. Track lighting would be more fun so I guess I will go with that.

The last grand I would use to put towards a new camera. the one I want costs more than that, but at least it would get me closer to being able to afford it.

So when is this envelope arriving???

middie said:
charity... cleveland clinic's children's hospital (if that counts)

loved one or friend... 1,000 cash

where would i go... good question have to think about that

home improvement... do whatever i can to the bathroom

how would i spend 1,000... pay off bills

Yep, the childrens hospital counts. That's where I'd be sending my money too.

I'd grab a few friends and head down to the Oregon coast for a week.

Home improvement... I'd use it to land scape the yard.

I'd buy my husband hunting/camping stuff.

And I'd use the last 1,000 for books, clothes, and a nice dinner out with Paul and our best friends.

I think buckyTom will be sending the checks out soon.
Isn't it nice of him?? LOL

charity: multiple sclerosis foundation

Spouse: Cash, wouldn't want to get something he really didn't want.

Home: wood floors in my kitchen

Vacation: Take it with us to Florida.( more spending $$)

Me: I would have to think long and hard about that one, I have to many thing to list and would have to pick the best one

Charity would be the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

GF would get new tires for her Durango and a new wardrobe.
The trip would be to New Orleans and some of the back country of Loisianna.
I'm still working on my kitchen, so the the $1,000.00 would help finish that project.
The last grand would be split as follows:
$250.00 to daughter to help with college books.
$250.00 to son for his apartment, (yey!! he's moving out again)!
$250.00 to install a wheelchair accessible shower in GF's parents apartment, (I'll do the labor).
$250.00 to take my GF out for a romantic dinner at a real nice restraunt and dancing afterwards, (Lord knows she deserves it).
John.

I would:

Give 1st $1K to Sonoma county food bank. They are low on everything....
Buy the wife 3 stone earings to match her 3 stone ring
Trip to Hawaii, just the 2 of us (no kids)
New carpeting for my living room
and for the spend as one wishes $1K...give to to the wife to spend as she pleases....if anyone deserves that, she does....

Mark

the first grand to charity: the local food bank/meals on wheels

the second to dw: a grand of new clothes. she has not returned to her pre-baby weight and is very upset about it. i keep telling her how much better i think she looks (and i really mean it this time), but she would feel better with new clothes so she wouldn't get depressed looking at the stuff she doesn't fit in anymore.

the third grand: a trip to so. cal. to visit dw's best friend. her friend has really been there for her over this past (very difficult) year, and i know she'd like to see her.

the fourth: a new skim coat over the foundation, and a new sidewalk around he side of the house and a small patio.

the final grand: into my son's college account.

Last edited:
pdswife1 said:
You walk outside this morning and sitting on your front steps is an blue envelope with your name on it. You open it and a check for $ 5,000 falls at your feet. Along with the check is this note.

Dear ______________
This money is for you to spend TODAY.
$ 1,000 of it must be given to your favorite charity.
Tubfrim, an orphanage in central Norway for mentally and physically challenged orphans.

$ 1,000 of it must be used to buy your spouse/partner something. If not married then a good friend will be the lucky one who gets a gift.
I would buy a train ticket to Benson to see the shows for my best friend. The $$ I spend on myself would be a ticket for me so the two of us can have fun. (*)

$ 1,000 of it must be used to take a trip somewhere.
See (*) above.

$ 1,000 of it must be used to do home decorating or repairs.
I want new living room furniture and a new plasma TV, whew do not think $1000 will stretch to the plasma TV.

The last $ 1,000 can be used any way you wish.
Since I cannot say buy the white house and evict the residents :LOL: , I would give the money to my daughter for her wedding.

charity: Project Blessing

Friend: My best friend Mark (hes also my pastor)

Trip: Road Trip to Part of America and Canada.

Decorating: I would get nice pictures and a new leather reclining chair

The remainder? Pay off bills.

charity: SPCA

Spouse: I have no clue, I'd give him the $ so we could have $2000 for the trip!

Home: New appliances for the kitchen. $1000 doesn't go far for home renos these days

Vacation: Put it in the fund for our next trip somewhere hot. Hopefully Mayan Riviera

Me: A shopping spree after a round at the spa. Massage, hot rocks, manicure, haircut...the works. Then the rest goes to new clothes. I have recently lost a few pounds and need some clothes for work. (My casual stuff still works, sweats fit forever! ;) )

Back
Top Bottom