"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
You know whenever Im dating a girl I make sure she's an eater. I dont care if she's skinny or heavy but girls who are afraid of food just kinda bug me. Likewise with the hubby... go to steakhouses with him and to the cool places with your foodie friends.

Old 04-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I am lucky. For my husband the more adventurous the better. His mother is Indonesian so he grew up eating non-Dutch food and Dutch food. My problem is keeping him interested. Our first argument was when he put ketchup on macaroni and cheese. He can't stand it. To me it one of the great comfort foods.

Cultural differences can be interesting! My husband is from a different country, but even families have their own culture. What and how you ate as a child carries through.

It is possible to break away.

pam

Old 04-01-2005, 11:59 AM   #13
Master Chef

Why would you take a guy that doesn't like or eat fish to the sushi place. Of course he's going to be complaning. I completely understand him. Have to take a picky eater to the place you know he'll like. I know it's not fare to you, but agter 35 years i doubt you'll change anything, and i don't think it is a reason for divorce after 35 years.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:12 PM   #14
Cook

I love sushi, myself. I moved here to Houston from California just over a year ago, and haven't had any since I moved. I think I'm about to expire from withdrawals!

My boyfriend is willing to try new things, but often doesn't like them. His son, age 13, on the other hand is literally the World's Pickiest Eater. He won't eat ANYTHING.

But, my BF did try sushi when he came out to California before I moved. To his credit, he tried 3 different kinds, actually put the whole piece in his mouth, chewed slowly and swallowed. Let's just say that the faces he made made me laugh so hard I cried, and even the sushi chef was laughing!

Unfortunately, he won't try it again, but at least he was nice about it!
Old 04-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Quote:
I love sushi
Well, THANKS! *blush*
Old 04-01-2005, 01:34 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
I've read all of your replies -- what a lot of wisdom gathered in one place!! -- and I am now humbled. I will break the silence and let him know why I am upset (it was actually our son's favorite place and he was so excited to take us there, so I was disappointed more for him than for me) and we'll kiss and make up.

I was brought up to be polite and smile (sometimes through clenched teeth!) even when you're upset, hate the food, etc., whereas he, as a good French Canadian, lays it on the line and lets you know what he thinks! Different ways to be, that's all...

Thanks, everybody. Hey! Anybody want to go out for sushi???
Old 04-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #17
Head Chef

<<...after 35 years i doubt you'll change anything, and i don't think it is a reason for divorce after 35 years.>>

I promise, CharlieD, I won't divorce him.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #18
Head Chef

Understand the situation entirely.

Have two BIL's that will not eat anything they had not eaten before they were ten years old.

Knew one of them only liked cheese pizza so we bought a double cheese, no pepperoni, no onion, no mushrooms, you get the idea. He wouldn't eat it; he likes cheese pizza, NOT extra cheese pizza.

The same BIL's wife made meatloaf with onion powder and he loved it. Then she made one with finely minced onions, and he wouldn't touch the stuff because he saw the onions.

The other one had cocktails and was shovelling onion rings into his mouth like they were going out of style. It was not until they got home that my SIL told him it was fried calamari. Rather than realize he had just tried something he enjoyed, he almost got ill.

That SIL loves to cook; unfortunately she can write the foods her husband will eat on a postage stamp.

Fortunately the other half of us who also does not like fish, will eat most other seafood so we never have a problem at most fish restaurants.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #19
Executive Chef

their, I feel your pain. One of my step-sons is extremely picky. He only wants to eat meat. He just picks at veggies and starch. I've tried begging, bribing, and cajoling him into eating the other parts of a meal, but he just doesn't want to eat it.

There's only a few things that I cook that he'll readily eat. Otherwise, he'll pick at it for about 30 minutes, then go and start making a PB & J. He did suprise me a few months, by asking to try some blackened tuna steak, and asking for more. But, it's meat.

Things are going to be really interesting this summer, when I start smoking stuff like chicken, brisket, etc., things he's never tried.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:45 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Understand the situation entirely.

Have two BIL's that will not eat anything they had not eaten before they were ten years old.

Knew one of them only liked cheese pizza so we bought a double cheese, no pepperoni, no onion, no mushrooms, you get the idea. He wouldn't eat it; he likes cheese pizza, NOT extra cheese pizza.

The same BIL's wife made meatloaf with onion powder and he loved it. Then she made one with finely minced onions, and he wouldn't touch the stuff because he saw the onions.

The other one had cocktails and was shovelling onion rings into his mouth like they were going out of style. It was not until they got home that my SIL told him it was fried calamari. Rather than realize he had just tried something he enjoyed, he almost got ill.

That SIL loves to cook; unfortunately she can write the foods her husband will eat on a postage stamp.

Fortunately the other half of us who also does not like fish, will eat most other seafood so we never have a problem at most fish restaurants.
Wow, Aunt Dot and AllenMI! Those are mighty challenging eaters. I think it must become something so ingrained that they just can't break out. My son reminded me that you never marry someone with the expectation that they'll change. Good advice...That goes for the relatives, too!