Accents?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most def. if I go down south to visit my mothers side of the family. My 3 half-brothers live up North in Michigan. They think I and others that live where we do have a southern accent. I don't think so but then again they (Michigan Residents) have their own accent and way of talking. I think its pretty cool how different areas so close to another can speak differently. I used to date a guy from Chicago and he pronounced words that started with a T with a D instead. It was pretty sexy actually cause he sounded kinda like someone from New York.

Oddly enough, one accent I could never master is english.... that is weird, because I'm half english. :LOL:

much like any country, england has a dozen or more accents. i've been able to tell a few apart, like recently i was able to pick out a manchester accent, and liverpool is pretty easy too. the actress that plays daphne moon does a pretty good manchester accent.

irish accents are a little more subtle, but i am able to pick out the differences between donegal/derry, dublin, and belfast now.

SizzlininIN said:
I think its pretty cool how different areas so close to another can speak differently.

Sizz, I can relate to the area you are talking about. Living near and then in Chicago, I used to be able to tell if people were from Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, or Illinois.

Then I moved to Memphis and learned the nuances of Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi pronunciations.

I find it all fascinating.

lol.. my southern drawl went out the back door.. I am listening to Peter Jennings in the background.. he's Canadian.

I just clicked on the tv and Paula Dean is on... I'll be sayin' "Y'all" again for awhile! :LOL:

Just because I'll say "Dawg" in place of dog ..does that mean North Carolina has rubbed off a bit on me?? When we go back to see DH's family and then come back to Ca. my kids will ask "what part of you is southern?"

Dove said:
Just because I'll say "Dawg" in place of dog ..does that mean North Carolina has rubbed off a bit on me?? When we go back to see DH's family and then come back to Ca. my kids will ask "what part of you is southern?"

I don't know Marge.. I can't explain it.. I have always picked them up easily.

Marge, to further your "snoop" education:

"dawg" is also used in hip hop lingo to identify your buddies or close friends, as in "all my dawgs"

Yeah, they rub off on me. Sometimes I find myself talking broken english like my husband. I will be talking to my mother and I will say "Mom, I no understand nothing" instead of "I don't understand anything".

I'm going to be the most confused person... I talked to a british person this morning... and you should hear how he says "allover".. it's like allovaaa..I'll be saying that now.

Dove said:
Mudbug,
then I guess I'm sorta hip..My "dawgs" have always been my best friends...LOL
LOL

I can't wait til I can have a couple dawgs.. that is one bad thing about an apartment.

You should hear an englishman try to do a southern accent... it's hilarious! :LOL:

Dove said:
Mudbug,
then I guess I'm sorta hip..My "dawgs" have always been my best friends...LOL
img_47024_0_5f8ae51afbfe687c61259bb1453cbf50.gif

Ferrari said:
Yeah, they rub off on me. Sometimes I find myself talking broken english like my husband. I will be talking to my mother and I will say "Mom, I no understand nothing" instead of "I don't understand anything".
Ferrari, are you from Hawaii. We have a way of talking called pigeon english, eg."Way you been stay?" or Where were you? or "My mada gon give me lickens"-My mom is going to spank me. Now you all know why my english is all hamajang (mixed up).

I don't say y'all - unless it's for exaggeration or something in the written form - so you must not be talking about me juliev! ;)

Back
Top Bottom