"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 06-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Advice on purchasing air conditioner

I've seen quite a price range for air conditioners. We'd like to spend as little as possible. Tell me about BTU's please. If I were to purchase a 5,000 BTU AC, would that then greatly increase my electric bill vs if I bought an 8,000 BTU one?

We are going to use the AC in our computer room, but may want to use it on occassion in other rooms. Also, is it best to place the AC in a North facing window rather than South facing? I assume the AC would run constantly if I placed it in a South window? About the filters, if I buy a cheap ac, would I still have a removable and washable filter or would I have to buy replacements?

Old 06-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Amber I know nothing about btu's but would suggest getting a portable air conditioner so that you can easily move it. Not sure what difference will be in the electric bill but the portables that I have heard about are between $200-$300 and they are suppose to do an excellent job of cooling things off.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Master Chef

IF you are talking about the window a/c units, the size as far as BTU's is going to depend on the size of your room. If you get too small of a btu, for the size of the room to cool it, it will really pull your electric because it is going to fight to keep the room cool when it is too small. The a/c will give you the sq. ft. of the coverage area for the btu's it has. We always get one that is just a bit bigger than what we need, so that we know for sure that it isn't going to pull. As far as moving it, they can get pretty heavy the bigger they are.

The filters are normally reusable, it's a plastic type substance that you would just have to clean every month or so.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Thanks very much Icymist and Texasgirl! We are thinking of a window unit, and I think this computer room is approximately 8x10 ish, so I guess the 5,000 btu one should cool this room effeciently. I can see the convenience of a portable one too, since we may want to put in our bedroom. I guess we'll go for a window unit, that is light weight (hubby can move it)
Old 06-11-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Master Chef

Yep, 5,000 should be plenty for your room.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Poor Hubby Heh heh
Old 06-13-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
Master Chef

I'm with Icy. they are very heavy and awkward to move, so make sure you can handle it before you buy it. We have one we call the "Suitcase" because it has a handle on top and we love the ****ed thing. I can move it and put it in without husband's help. All the other ones we sometimes can't do with just the two of us, and we're not exactly small people or wimps. We need to have a younger (wer're in our 50s), stronger guy come in and give us a hand. Why do they not put handles on the darned things?
Old 06-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
Executive Chef

They're a bit pricier than maybe what you're looking for, but I've gotten great results with the Mitsubishi "Mr. Slim" air conditioners.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Basement

My other brother will not get air conditioner. He goes down in the basement and stays there till the sun goes down. Don't know how he does it. He claims if poor people have to make it he can too. He is in his 70's and always has had generous spirit when it comes to someone else having hard time except himself. I told him I sure don't want to come over and find him on the floor. I would buy a portable air conditoner if I didn't have one that cooled whole house. I bring brother watermelon when I can but I don't think that lasts longer than a day. He just doesn't think it is necessary. His cars are the same way. I would get something amber just to be able to live with another person. The heat makes one irritable. Even if you love the other person it makes one feel sick. Hope you get one soon.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:19 AM   #10
Master Chef

Where do you find the mitsubishi slim lines? I think I looked for them around here after seeing an ad. Will look again. Last summer was so mild that we only had the one in our bedroom window to make sleeping more pleasant, and even then only used it for a day here and one there. So far all our houseguests have come during absolutely perfect weather, so havn't had to put one in the servants' quarters. Occaisionally the summer before last we put one in the back parlour (pardon the language, but it's an old house) and given the weather so far, I'm sure we'll have to again this year. So if we have company during the hot months, it'll be an emergency run to Lowes or somewhere for a third unit. I'm having a ceiling fan put into the bath/utility/laundry room this year (I swear I am. In previous years we somehow never "got around to it". Of course I'm the only one who notices that it's sweltering in there when I do laundry. Duh.) DH is absolutely in agreement with me when it comes to hot foods/hot weather. In the summer we eat a lot of salads and dishes I can cook up in the cool hours of the morning, then eat cold (cold pasta dishes) or nuke. I still wish they'd put handles on the things. Some around here leave the units in year 'round, but here heat (usually gas) is far more expensive than electricy, so it costs you to leave it in the window. Besides it is downright ugly and cuts out the much-needed light in the winter. Anyone who comes up with lightweight, small units that do the job will get my vote (and face it, we all vote with our pocketbooks).