Alcohol & the Heart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
It is worth noting that excessive alcohol consumption can cause arrhythmias and the heart muscle and electrical conducting system can be permanently damaged by excessive consumption that takes place over an extended period of time. In other words the alcohol slowly poisons the heart. It is not too strong a statement to say that this situation is like pickling the heart in alcohol.

Some people can be totally unaware of the presence of an arrhythmia because not every person with an arrhythmia experiences palpitations. However, if a person is experiencing palpitations there are some additional symptoms that should prompt the person to seek medical assistance. Palpitations accompanied by tightness in the chest or throat should not be ignored, even if the discomfort is slight. Shortness of breath is another significant accompanying symptom. A history of fainting or even dizziness at the time of a burst of palpitations may also be very significant. Weakness is a vague symptom but if it occurs in association with palpitations this should not be ignored and shrugged off.

http://www.irishhealth.com/?level=4&id=4454

That is very interesting indeed. Funny thing is that it addresses one of the situations I had with my recent illness. When I was so ill in the hospital, and had bad atrial fibrulation, two of my Drs. seemed to be in a battle about the cause of it. The cardiologist thinks it was flu/pneumonia induced (along with all the thyroid problems and the other organ failures) and my regular Dr. seemed to lean toward the thyroid induced fibrulation theory. He is still doing regular thyroid tests, because he thinks it will react differently now that I'm well again. They've pretty much ruled out the thyroid as a cause, but we'll see.

Thanks for posting that link. It explained a lot.

BC

that's why luishes like myself have to talk to the doctor and get vitamin/mineral supplementation.

Thank heaven I don't have any Drs. who would give me supplements so I could continue to drink more than I should. I may have been upset about that at your age, luvs, but now I'm glad that they look out for my well being enough to not 'help' me in that way.

BC

don't worry, blucat, they give me an earful at each visit. i hhad a lot of problems w/ low blood minerals, before i drank, and so they're very cautious with me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom