"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-11-2005, 07:02 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Hello
I collect antique silver and china - and also own a few items of Georgian furniture.

The US Antiques Roadshow is based on the BBC TV series. Here's the website for the UK version, which is full of handy hints.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/antiques/antiqu...ow/priceguide/

Again, I don't know about the US, but the UK has a set of reference books with information about silver hallmarks, styles etc. Miller's Antique Guides are well-known here, too - they have illustrations of many of the types of furniture, silver, jewellry etc and their 'current' value.
Thanks Ishbel. From your info I then went to the U.S. version of the antiques road show which helped a bit to explore the types of American antiques.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I subscribe to the magazine "Country Home". And within its pages is a section where people can write and submit a photo of their piece and get answers to this type of question. So you may consider this. Or maybe google "appraisal fair" and see if there are any close to where you live. I know our town has them about once a year.....for a fund-raiser. Hope this helps!
Thanks sizzlin, I googled appraisal fairs, and went to a site (ivillage) that then showed a link to country and home magazine, which do free appraisals. I also googled the trademark name on my trunk which brought up some facts. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #13
Executive Chef

try out this link.

http://www.appraisers.org/findappraiser/
Old 04-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidrite
I do this for a living if you can get me some close shots of the items I perhaps can help you out . I also sell jewelry. I collect coins and have done this for over 30 years. Sold coins for more than 20 years along with watches and clocks. Have been known for repairing the ladder and electronic items.
Ok, thanks Maidritre. I am mostly interested in knowing the history of this trunk, when it was made and the purpose of it. I know the maker.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:25 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
I have gone to e-bay and serached for things I have to determine their value based on the sales/bidding prices. Sometimes helpful.
Thanks Norg, I did try ebay today just to get an idea of similar items, but there was no items for antique storage trunks. It brought up woolen swim trunks lol, and then luggage trunks. None of which I have, but the search continues.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:25 PM   #16
Executive Chef

or this link:

http://www.appraisersassoc.org/appra...rg/search.html
Old 04-12-2005, 03:14 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Just a thought, Amber - but in the UK we call the item an antique chest rather than a trunk.... perhaps if you googled for that?

I've got a couple of chests - one is Jacobean oak and was used to store clothes - a 'flat' wardrobe if you like.... the other was used by an ancestor to carry his possessions from his home in the highlands of Scotland to university in Edinburgh. I really love this one, as you can see the hard knocks the poor 'kist' (Auld Scots word for chest) has endured!