"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-10-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Antiques

Anyone watch the antiques road show on public tv? How would you go about getting an appraisal for your precious objects? I bought an antique trunk ages ago and wonder what it's worth, and a rocking chair that was given to me. I guess I could visit an antique shop to see if I see something similar to get an idea of it's value. Any suggestions?

Old 04-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
Master Chef

yes, how about just asking an antiques dealer?
he will probably give you the best estimate, because he may assume you want to sell it to him.
i'm in the same boat; my Grandfather is giving me a red depression glass set and while i wouldn't sell it for anything, i would like to know its value.

Old 04-10-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Hey, amber! I don't really like to comment on this type of thing but I love watching 'Antiques Roadshow' and I've gathered enough information to come to this conclusion: Your run-of-the-mill antique shop owner knows next to nothing about antiques so I wouldn't trust them to give you an accurate apparaisal. Beyond that, I honestly don't know besides contacting insurance companies, which would probably be a painful process. I'm hoping someone else here can help you!
Old 04-10-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Oops! Took me too long to write that post! Not trying to contradict ya, Luvs! Just my experience.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs_food
yes, how about just asking an antiques dealer?
he will probably give you the best estimate, because he may assume you want to sell it to him.
i'm in the same boat; my Grandfather is giving me a red depression glass set and while i wouldn't sell it for anything, i would like to know its value.
Thanks luvs, I'll give it a try just to see what they say for an estimate, taking into consideration what dampcharcoal mentioned that they may not know much as far as appraisals, but probably thinking I want to sell my items. Depression glass is worth something, not sure what, but it's valuable.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Hey, amber! I don't really like to comment on this type of thing but I love watching 'Antiques Roadshow' and I've gathered enough information to come to this conclusion: Your run-of-the-mill antique shop owner knows next to nothing about antiques so I wouldn't trust them to give you an accurate apparaisal. Beyond that, I honestly don't know besides contacting insurance companies, which would probably be a painful process. I'm hoping someone else here can help you!
Thanks Damp, I've noticed on antiques road show that most appraisal are based on the insured value. I wonder what insurance companies charge to do that, and do they come to you or do we have to bring our items to them?
Old 04-11-2005, 04:43 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Hello
I collect antique silver and china - and also own a few items of Georgian furniture.

The US Antiques Roadshow is based on the BBC TV series. Here's the website for the UK version, which is full of handy hints.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/antiques/antiqu...ow/priceguide/

Again, I don't know about the US, but the UK has a set of reference books with information about silver hallmarks, styles etc. Miller's Antique Guides are well-known here, too - they have illustrations of many of the types of furniture, silver, jewellry etc and their 'current' value.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:28 PM   #8
Master Chef

I subscribe to the magazine "Country Home". And within its pages is a section where people can write and submit a photo of their piece and get answers to this type of question. So you may consider this. Or maybe google "appraisal fair" and see if there are any close to where you live. I know our town has them about once a year.....for a fund-raiser. Hope this helps!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:48 PM   #9
Contest Winner

Smile

I do this for a living if you can get me some close shots of the items I perhaps can help you out . I also sell jewelry. I collect coins and have done this for over 30 years. Sold coins for more than 20 years along with watches and clocks. Have been known for repairing the ladder and electronic items.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #10
Certified Executive Chef

I have gone to e-bay and serached for things I have to determine their value based on the sales/bidding prices. Sometimes helpful.