"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat
Old 05-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Hanart, you can use the Mexican tarragon just as you would the French- it's just a little more citrusy, maybe, and a spicier taste, too. Also, try using some last minute in your chili dishes, or any Mexican dish.

Old 05-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #12
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
This is my parsley plant. I started it from seeds last spring & it has come back really well as you can see.

"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
Old 05-22-2005, 08:10 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Well, since this is the first growing season my in first house, I wanted to plant some herbs, but I didn't realize the bed that I had in mind for them already had bulbs in it. Of course, ALL the beds have bulbs in them, but, the biggest bed, which also gets the most sunlight, has enough space for some herbs (we'll remove the bulbs this fall and transplant them somewhere else).

Earlier this spring, I started some thyme, chives, sage, lavender, tarragon, basil, and rosemary. I got sprouts in I think all of the little planters I used, but due to the weird spring here, most of them died. I've since planted what I did have in the largest bed. I knew which ones were chives, but the rest pretty much looked alike. When I planted them, I planted what I thought was my thyme in one spot, the chives in another, and the basil in a third.

Well, the basil all died in the freak snowstorm we had a few weeks ago. Most of my "thyme" is either tarragon or lavender, with a little clump of thyme growing right next to it. I found some sage seeds that never germinated, and planted them in dirt, but nothings happened. I also found that obviously, some of my basil seeds washed out of the little planters I used and ended up in the dirt. I watched that closely, and when the second set of leaves opened up, I noticed that it was actually MINT. Those mint seedlings I'm picking out, as I don't want mint in my main flowerbed. I've also started seeing some chives come up away from where I planted them. I guess some of those seeds washed out as well. Just tonight, I went out and looked, and realized I do have a little basil coming up, as I can smell the difference in the leaves. No sign of rosemary. It may not even do good this far north. I'll probably get some more sage seeds (or live seedlings) and see if I can get those going.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
Old 05-22-2005, 10:46 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
my sage, thyme, mint, and parsley all came back well this year on their own. i have added cilantro, rosemary, sweet italian basil, greek basil, marjoram, and chives.
i also am growing a chia herb garden that i received as a christmas gift. i have marjoram, cilantro, and basil growing on a sill in tiny pots.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:52 PM   #15
Hospitality Queen
okay, you started it...
Bucky, I think of you every time I go to Walmart and see the Homer Simpson Chia Head.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
Old 05-22-2005, 10:55 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
oh man, i have to get one!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 11:25 PM   #17
Senior Cook
I have rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives and sage. The sage is new.

Basil always dies on me so I've given up. Too bad as it is my favorite.

There is mint out front that I brought from the old house. I thought I'd pulled it all out, but there it is.

"A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness"----Ella Schiaparelli
Old 05-23-2005, 01:14 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
I grow rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, chives, mint and lemon balm.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #19
Master Chef
Wow...........thanks for the response. I have to admit I haven't heard of the variety of geraniums.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
Old 05-23-2005, 04:53 PM   #20
marmalady, thanks for the tarragon tips!

jkath & Sizzlin, around here I can usually only find the rose or lemon scented geraniums. One year I ordered a few others from Pape Geno's (I think), but only the coconut has survived.