"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 05-22-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
Master Chef

Anyone else plant their own herbs?

Well I was hoping to be in our new home by now so I could plant my herb garden. Looks like I'll have to pot them in planters again and then transplant once we move. I love putting them in clay pots and putting them on the window seal just outside my kitchen windows. Its wonderful to just open the window and snip what I need.

I usually just plant: Parsley, Oregano, Basil, Dill, Chives, Thyme, and Rosemary......they all do well in planters.

Whats in your herb garden? What kind of herbs do you have to be careful of growing because they will take over the garden?

What been your experience growing herbs? What tips can you give me?

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #2

Parsley can seed itself everywhere if you let it. Chives can take over!

Keep mints in a container -- they are wild spreaders from the roots. Mint even moved out into the lawn and took over there pretty much. Although I must admit I loved the scent of freshly mowed mint after the grass was cut.

Old 05-22-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I thought we planted a herb garden but it turns out we are just maintaining a buffet for a ground hog.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Andy - lol - I had a ground hog clean out my entire melon bed one year - looked like it hadn't even been planted! I'm surprised they went after the herbs - they're usually too 'stinky' for most pests.

I've got parsley, cilantro, sage, rosemary, French and Mexican Tarragon (it gets too hot here later on for the French, and the Mexican is a pretty okay sub); savory; basil; oregano; marjoram; thyme; regular chives, and garlic chives; oh, and my little bay tree I bought when it was just a few inches tall is now 5 feet!
Old 05-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #5

Marmalady, I'm growing Mexican tarragon this year too. Any suggestions for uses?

No mint, but the lemon balm can be pretty vigorous. All the parsley is trying to flower which means the flavor is changing. I keep waiting for Black Swallowtails to ovipost, but it's not happening yet. Same with the dill & burnet ... all flowering, so they're almost done. Have rosemary & thyme year round. Regular chives are blooming now ... their garlic cousin blooms in August. Also growing lots of basils. The lovage sort of sat there all winter and now is putting on growth, but I don't think it's gonna last in the heat. Also growing lemon verbena for the first time this year. What a wonderful scent! Can't wait to use it in something.

One of my favorite herbs to just touch & smell is coconut scented geranium.

Oh, and the pineapple sage is blooming like crazy! Usually I get a few blooms in the spring and a spectacular show in the fall, so this is a treat for me and the hummers!
Old 05-22-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
nothing growing here. i have a black thumb. even my tomato plant died that was just given to me 3 weeks ago lol.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I have a pot full of parsley on my back porch & one measly sprig of dill that came up in another pot. It's not even the pot I had it planted in last year. I guess it must have dropped some seeds into it. Normally I have basil, oregano, chives, & thyme also but I've been rather lazy about getting them put in this year.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
Hospitality Queen

These gals are right - mint and lemon balm grow like crazy! Which is why I love 'em!
My lemon grows right under my giant purple wisteria arch, and the smell of those two are heavenly. I just took out a ton of mint from my front planter yesterday, as I like to let it sprout up fresh every summer (I kept the roots there). My sweet basil is potted in a 5 gallon pot and thrives too. For some reason, my lavendar died this year, so I'll have to replace that beauty.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I plant an herb garden every year. My sage returns by itself year after year. I am having a hard time finding my favorite herb this season. Tarragon is a hot commodity here. I love my Basil but end up with sooo much. I pass it out to the neighbors.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
Hospitality Queen

hanArt - I've never seen coconut geranium - what a treat!!!
I've got many different ones, including cinnamon geranium, my favorite. I'm thinking of planting chocolate geranium too.