Anyone here ever have a Heart Attack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bangbang said:
I had one in 1997.

My hubby had a BAD MI in April this year - actually arrested and was revived by a bystander...he is being medically discharged after 30 years in the Air Force and I "think" he is going thru the normal grief stages - including denial.
How did you keep yourself on track as far as diet and exercise?
I must admit - I have not maintained my 'good' cooking habits - low salt, low fat no flavor because I watch him eat everything he can get his hands on - so what's the point - although I am cooking much healthier now than before and am trying to keep us all away from so much fast food. He's probably gained 20 pounds and has quit exercising - I feel like I"m watching him slowly commit suicide - probably a stage most go thru - but is there any light at the end of the tunnel??? Any family advice?

JRsTXDeb said:
Bangbang said:
I had one in 1997.

My hubby had a BAD MI in April this year - actually arrested and was revived by a bystander...he is being medically discharged after 30 years in the Air Force and I "think" he is going thru the normal grief stages - including denial.
How did you keep yourself on track as far as diet and exercise?
I must admit - I have not maintained my 'good' cooking habits - low salt, low fat no flavor because I watch him eat everything he can get his hands on - so what's the point - although I am cooking much healthier now than before and am trying to keep us all away from so much fast food. He's probably gained 20 pounds and has quit exercising - I feel like I"m watching him slowly commit suicide - probably a stage most go thru - but is there any light at the end of the tunnel??? Any family advice?

I am doing the same thing. Eating and drinking whatever I want on the most part. I keep gaining weight and am easily short of breatn I keep putting off seeing my cardiologist. I went through a severe depression after the MI in 1997. However I have made it a goal to go to the spa today and swim. I may play with the light weights and the machines. I hope to make it a new habit.

This post actually compelled me back to the gym...I have had injuries for the past 2 years that gave me an adequate excuse...except my son told me I was being lazy...so off to the treadmill for almost 30 minutes...hopefully the first trip of many!

Just a couple months ago I had the classic female symptoms, some of which I didn't even know existed. But when I went online to check the symptoms females have I was shocked to see the ONE thing that bothered me the most.

I had a severe tightening and pain in my lower jaw line, like someone was pinching my jaw really hard. Along with the chest tightening right smack in the middle, weak for about 15 minutes. I was so afraid to call for my husband as soon as I could I just went to the couch to stretch out. After about 15 minutes I felt like it was safe to get up. I went within a couple days to get checked out and they said what I felt was "all correct" it just didn't show up anywhere. THANK GOODNESS. I figure it was God's way of saying - "Now, if you feel this again you'll know to take an aspirin and call 911".

All my tests checked out OK and I am grateful!

Nope. Not me, but my father did. He had one on the golf course and didn't even know it. He thought he got the flu. I thought he had pneumonia because of his shortness of breath. Over his protestations, I took him to the doctor and 30 minutes later, he was in an ambulance and spent the next 10 days in the cardiac care unit.

He's now addicted to rat poison. :twisted:

ok, ya got me. i'm going to start working out again too. i broke out my speedskates and went for a glide for lunch today thru central park (now i'm so hungry i could eat one of those handsome cab horsies).

JRsTXDeb said:
This post actually compelled me back to the gym...I have had injuries for the past 2 years that gave me an adequate excuse...except my son told me I was being lazy...so off to the treadmill for almost 30 minutes...hopefully the first trip of many!

I just got back from Bally's. I worked out with weight machines for 15 minutes and went swimming for 15 minutes. Thats a start. I used the whirlpool and steam room too. I feel pretty good right now.

img_36712_0_7a5ca69434bbf49294bb2db4584eefaf.gif

Oh, gosh...You're all becoming dedicated, so I guess I must, too. I've been sitting at this darned computer day after day, putting together pages for the website. When I finish, though, I'm so without energy that I don't want to do anything but loaf. Gotta get through that in between stage and get the blood going. I don't look like I have a bunch of weight to lose, but I feel it and I know what it would take to be the size I want. Cutting salt makes a huge difference, so I'll be working on that tonight as I cook. Thanks for sharing your stories. I'm motivated! :D Take care of yourselves, you people with heart histories. We want you around for a long, long time.

Boy, all this talk about going to the gym. I decided to get off my butt and get my heart pumping.

Went to the market and bought a bottle of Sriracha hot sauce to use in my crab cakes. That should get the blood flowing.

Psiguyy said:
Boy, all this talk about going to the gym. I decided to get off my butt and get my heart pumping.

Went to the market and bought a bottle of Sriracha hot sauce to use in my crab cakes. That should get the blood flowing.

Yep! That will work...now give us ypour recipe. Tonight I chose to drink chicken broth instead of vodka. :LOL:

There are a lot of facets to heart health, and as pretty much all of us are cooks, we probably know most of the cooking stuff...

(One little tweak, here, one of my reasons for the fresh garlic in everything is that garlic has some mysterious element within it that apparently lowers blood pressure, but you need to eat garlic just about daily...I'm making a good effort in that direction!)

Aside from that, doing three instances of exercise where you raise the heart rate (c'mon! like seriously raise it!) for a 30 minute period three times a week will likely get you well advanced on heart health...

A codicil here, if you're a smoker, you have to do that each day, every day...

(Audeo could fill in a bit more here, I think, she knows a bit more than she lets on...)

Elf, it should also be publicised that "Women are from Venus, Men from Mars" in physiology, and the symptoms of "heart unhealth" that at publicised are almost all "male" symptoms...females have very different ones, and I'm sorry that if I recall correctly, yours are classic...

A "heart preventative" thing, that your Doctor will probably tell you (and if he does not, or disagrees, GET A SECOND OPINION!!!)(This is your "butt" we are talking about-there is no "second issue"!) is that if you are at risk, eating one Bayer "Baby Aspirin" a day will act as a blood thinner, and probably help a lot...and note I am absolutely being "brand specific" here, I do mean "Bayer" "Baby Aspirin"! The enteric versions do not work nearly as well, as regardless of what the pharmacists says, it is still available, so even if you have to spend an extra hour looking around for it, consider how many more years you might be robbed of by being lazy on this point!

A few more points...

If you "suspect" that someone has endured a heart attack, one of the biggest favours you can do is to IMMEDIATELY give him/her an aspirin (this is NOT First Aid-this is curative!) An aspirin ingested within minutes has some fantastic number of people that have survived, versus those that have perished...and the percentages of surviving are on an upslope with how fast they got the Aspirin...and yeah, I think "Extra Strength" would be better, but at the moment, I guess I wouldn't be that fussy!

If you are alone and believe you are suffering a "heart irregularity" or heart attack, obviously, there's nobody there to give you CPR, let alone have defibrillaters...and you might have only 10-20 seconds where you cannt get your breath back and commence to "black out"...(and you might be at the wheel, on a freeway, where you are going to start to kill other people, too!)

Should this happen, IMMEDIATELY commence harsh, deep coughing, likened to producing sputum from the lungs, on a roughly 2 second interval, until you can drive yourself to a hospital (given you are at the wheel) or call 911, or obtain competent assistance, or until the symptom has FULLY receded...(this is similar to "massaging the heart" as CPR does, and causes you to gasp in overdoses of air/oxygen,,,) just what you need!

This is a unique and recognized form of "self CPR"...and literally hundreds, if not thousands of people, each year, could still be with us had they known this...

Please use this advice, AFTER you have validated it with a medical professional, who has your "trust" (noting I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL!) and subsequently pass it on to al those you know and love, in order that we can start beating this d****d disease, with knowledge that is available, just not widely distributed...

And shake the change out of your pockets, or come to a committment that for every friend or relative you have lost to the two monsters of Cancer and Heart Disease, you will contribute a miserly $50 each year, on the annual appeal...would you not give $50 to get your relative or friend "back", if even only for 15 minutes?

Think about it...

Lifter

Back
Top Bottom