"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat
View Poll Results: Where are you going on your summer vacation?
I'm going to a different country! (Hope I know how to speak the language!) 2 7.69%
I'm going out of the State or Province. 3 11.54%
I'm staying within the state, but it's quite far 1 3.85%
I'm going to my relative's city for a great family time! 0 0%
Wooo Wooo...I'm taking the train! 0 0%
I'm leaving on a jet plane...... 1 3.85%
I'm traveling by car, so I'll probably see some really great stuff along the way! 4 15.38%
Get out the lifevests, I'm taking a cruise! 0 0%
I'm abitious, and am bicycling through quite a bit of land. 0 0%
Vacation? What's that? 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
Cook

I have nothing planned out so far. My friends and I will probably just take a few days off here and there and go driving to nearby places (Vegas, San Fran, Tahoe, San Diego, etc.) a few times this summer.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #12
Master Chef

I supposedly have a dog who is dying. She's my husbands first dog, and no way can I leave her with someone or put her in a kennell. I haven't had what I consider a vacation in ages (much as I enjoy them, camping and visits to relatives simply aren't vacations. Vacations involve restaurants, room service, mini-bars, maid service, and to be honest, much as I love them, no freinds or family, just my husband. And a foreign country, preferably Europe, is even better).

Old 06-13-2005, 03:02 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

We have about 4 or 5 weeks of vacation time left this year so we do plan on using them. We will go to Florida to visit my grandparents sometime in the winter. My in-laws are planning on renting a beach house for a week this summer either in Rockport or Cape Cod or maybe somewhere in Maine like Ogunquit or Wells. We will spend some time with them there if they do that. The rest of the time we will probably spend at our pool which is fine by me
Old 06-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

You have four or five weeks LEFT????!!!!!

Now I really really want your job.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i WAS going to go to pa to visit my mom. but she decided she was coming to ohio to see us that same week i had planned on going there.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:41 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
You have four or five weeks LEFT????!!!!!

Now I really really want your job.
Well this year we switched over to paid time off instead of vacation time, sick time, personal time, etc. Both my wife and I have been with the company for almost 6 years so last year we earned an extra 5 days of time each year. Neither of us get sick very often so we can now use that as vacation time now that it is all just paid time off, plus we has sick days and vacation days that we did not use last year that were rolled over to this year. Yeah I am looking forward to taking advantage of all that time off. We are halfway through the year and we have only taken a day or two so far.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:15 PM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We had planned on going to either Charleston, Washington D.C., or Williamsburg, or at least to Myrtle Beach (we love it but had wanted to do something different this year, and James has never been to any of the other three), but we can't. Money is a big problem this year, but my classes put the final stop on it. I would have to have guaranteed computer access every day (well, at least 4 days a week). Some of the people in my class have accessed the class from libraries and hotel rooms, but they have had a lot of problems. I really won't know any more until I actually start my next class (it runs from June 28th through August 8th, which is my whole vacation "window," since summer school ends June 30th and school starts August 9th. We may be able to squeeze a couple days in at Myrtle Beach. I really hope to be able to go back to California to see my family someday soon. We haven't seen our grandkids (or daughter Nancy and the rest of my family) in 2 years.

Barbara
Old 06-13-2005, 07:20 PM   #18
Hospitality Queen

Well, the h called and our 4th of July week in Vegas plans were cancelled...
but I made more calls and got an even better deal for mid August. Can you say "1 week in Vegas (Mirage & Flamingo) for a total of $85"? Dang, I'm good!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:32 PM   #19
Traveling Welcome Wagon

You are good jkath! James is good at making deals too. He will have to get together with you if we ever get to go out to Vegas. Maybe we can get an even better deal! I love Las Vegas!

Barbara
Old 06-13-2005, 07:43 PM   #20
Hospitality Queen

I get offers almost weekly from all the hotels. I've learned that you get a free player's card at every place, and use it! (We hadn't ever played at NY, NY, but since they are owned by MGM/Mirage, we got a free 3 nights' stay package with them in the spring.)
It's so much more fun spending money on the kids than on the hotels!