Asthma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeppA

Assistant Cook
I have Asthma. I was recently put into the hospital for it along with Bronchial pneumonia. Haven't been put into the hospital for this since I was 2 1/2, and I'm 32 now. I have thought I had my asthma in check. I guess I didn't. Now that I was hospitalized for this. I am more easier to have a asthma attack. And I live in Michigan.

My question is this.
Has anyone or does anyone have Asthma? and if you do. How do you treat it and how does the enviroment affect you?

I wish I could help you PeppA but I don't know the first thing about asthma. All I can say though is I wish you the best. I hope you find some solutions to keep it in check. That had to be a rough go!!!! Thinking of you.

Talk with your doctor Peppa. One thing that I can say, is that a panic attack can lead to an asthma attack fairly quickly. So ask your doc about that as well, he/she may want to put you on a mild med. for that.

my son had asthma peppa. the one thing we found that puts him in an attack is allergies ! mainly seasonal ones. so his doctor put him on singulair which helps keeps seasonal allergies in check. maybe you should ask your doctor about it? it seems to help tremendously. my son hasn't been hospitalized for an asthma attack in over 2 years. though he does go to the e.r. about once a year mainly in the winter for a breathing treatment. sometimes his nebulizer isn't enough and he needs a stronger treatment.

middie said:
my son had asthma peppa. the one thing we found that puts him in an attack is allergies ! mainly seasonal ones. so his doctor put him on singulair which helps keeps seasonal allergies in check. maybe you should ask your doctor about it? it seems to help tremendously. my son hasn't been hospitalized for an asthma attack in over 2 years. though he does go to the e.r. about once a year mainly in the winter for a breathing treatment. sometimes his nebulizer isn't enough and he needs a stronger treatment.

When I was in the hospital they did put me on singular and beconse. Along with Advair 250/50 and atrovent and albuterol. I have been on Albuterol since I can remember. I went from having 1 inhailer to 3 total. I have gone to the ER for treatment.

What I'm wondering about is this. Since Michigan has alot of tree's there for there is tree pollen. And tons of it. Would moving somewhere out southwest be a ideal advisment?

Last edited:
Pepper, that would be correct. The southwest is MUCH better with allergies. It would help you out. Also, getting rid of all carpeting and drapes would be also be a good thing. Polished Topaz also was very accurate with panic attacks bringing on asthma related troubles. And vice versa.

My youngest son has asthma. It is a reaction to his allergy for house mite. Allergies can have lots to do with an attack.

He has pills for his allergic reaction (loradatin)

Pam

PeppA said:
When I was in the hospital they did put me on singular and beconse. Along with Advair 250/50 and atrovent and albuterol. I have been on Albuterol since I can remember. I went from having 1 inhailer to 3 total. I have gone to the ER for treatment.

What I'm wondering about is this. Since Michigan has alot of tree's there for there is tree pollen. And tons of it. Would moving somewhere out southwest be a ideal advisment?

PeppA, just don't move anywhere there are pines!! We get clouds and clouds of pollen off the Ponderosa pine trees. If you are looking for an area with few trees I would suggest some place like Las Vegas, NV.

PeppA:

Pneumonia and asthma together can't be a lot of fun.

Until I got my asthma under control, I had regular problems.

My doctor put me on Pulmicort as a preventative and Albuterol for emergencies (not used very often at all). This combo has worked well for me.

I also had a problem with allergies and my asthma. I went through the scratch testing process and took desensitizing injections for 8-9 years. They worked very well. The allergist told me that pine pollen is not a pollen that triggers allergies. There may be a lot of it around but it shouldn't impact your allergies like oak or grass pollen can.

Bottom line, let your doctor(s) decide what's best for you. Don't hesitate to be demanding. If a particular treatment doesn't work, tell the doc and he'll try something else. There are tons of medications available to treat your condition.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Pepper, that would be correct. The southwest is MUCH better with allergies. It would help you out. Also, getting rid of all carpeting and drapes would be also be a good thing. Polished Topaz also was very accurate with panic attacks bringing on asthma related troubles. And vice versa.

I do suffer from panic attacks. Which is a long story on how I started to have them but I never had a Asthma attack from having a panic attack before.

I have allergy-induced asthma that was just getting worse. I was using my albuterol all the time. I play a lot of sports and exercise and I had to absolutely make sure I had it at all times or it could get VERY scary.

About 2 months ago I changed Dr.'s and she put me on ADVAIR (the purple disk) and it has changed my life.

I have had to use albuterol maybe twice in 2 months instead of 4 times a day. My asthma is completely under control now.

She also prescribed Nasacort for congestion so no more Sudafed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom