baby kitten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
My g/f and I are bottle-raising a little baby calico kitten that wasn't nursing from it's mother. The g/f is a horse trainer, and the barn cat had kittens, and she brought this one home because it wouldn't nurse, and wasn't really moving as much as the others. It was rough the first few days, we didn't know if she would make it, but I think we're in the clear now, tomorrow will be her 2 week birthday! She even sleeps through most of the night now, and she's eating wel and developing really quickly. She can walk, and she can climb really well, and just now when I was feeding her I noticed her little eyes start to open up! She's so adorable, and watching her grow up kinda makes me feel like a daddy. I'll try to post some pics of her, as soon as I get a chance.

aww, that's so sweet!
i used to feed my kitten from a little kitty-cat bottle, and it was so cute hearing him drink his milk.

That lucky kitty, finding a nice new mama and daddy to take care of it. You 2 will have a dear friend for life with that kitten. I know the first 2 weeks had to be rough on you. I almost did the same thing only with squirrels. We had a sudden winter storm 2 years ago that was so bad that it blew a squirrel nest out of our oak tree. I didn't find the nest until the next day when a dog was sniffing around the nest. Luckily it ran away when I got to the nest and inside I found 2 baby squirrels. One had its eyes open and the other one still didn't. I didn't know what to do so took them to a pet store and was asking the clerk how to care for them. He told me that you basically have to feed them every 2 hours with a bottle and even though I worked I was willing to try and do it. Fortunately he popped up and said that he had just finished raising a squirrel and had just released it. :) :) I kinda forced him to volunteer to care for the 2 babies. :angel: :angel:

College cook, raising a kitten or any animal is a gift! I raised a baby bird when I was in Jr. High. It was amazing how fast she grew up. I haven't had to raise any kittens. My mama cat has had 3 litters & the only thing I had to do was assist with the birth of her very first kitten. It's leg was stuck & she came to me & laied her head in my lap until I helped her. It was so sweet! We have a litter of 4 4 week old kittens right now. They are fiesty little ones & I wish we could keep them all! Anyway, enough of my rambling!! I'm happy the kitten is doing so well & as IcyMist said, you will have a very devoted kitty friend for life!

we had to do that with kittens too. the mama died shortly after birth and my mom was a stay-at-home mom so she had the time to do it. they both grew up to be very beautifil cats. we kept one and my grandmother took the other.

Im glad it's working out for you! We once had a dog die like a day or so after it gave birth (cant remember how... poisoned? ran over?) but we had to raise her puppies ourselves which wasent easy and we lost a few. What we did was guy large animal syringes, cut off the tip and REALLY gently squeezed out formula while the puppies sucked on the end.

Awwwwww!!!!
35.gif
Sounds like you have a new part of the family! :)

That is so sweet. I'm sure you two FEEL like momma and daddy. I love it when I hear of people that care for animals as much as I do:) . I had to do that with a puppie, and your right, it's not easy, but the rewards are awesome!!

Congratulations!!

When I was about 12 I raised a wild rabbit. I had to bottle feed it and go out and gather clover and such as it got older. I was planning on setting it free on the weekend at our campground but it got into some decon (poison) my mom had between the stove and cabinet and ended up dying. I still don't know how it got back there because it was so big and the space was so small. It was horrible and I cried my heart out.

Good luck........its a very lucky kitty indeed to have you guys raising it!

Back
Top Bottom