British cuisine - just to prove that's not an oxymoron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm supposed to be eating there in August.... Hmmmmm some of his dishes are so totally off the wall that I'm not sure about the taster menu at just under a hundred quid a head!

Praline Rose Tartlet is the only thing I see right off-hand that I MIGHT try! lol Yes, VERY interesting menu. Interesting - was that even the right word to use??? :LOL:

Well, I'll report back after my 'experience' (meal just doesn't seem enough to describe it, does it?):mrgreen:

I read about The Fat Duck awhile ago--what an impressive story! I'm not sure if I'd be too excited about the food, either (I don't tend to be TOO adventerous with food, especially when I'm spending a lot!) so I can't wait to hear about your experience, Ishbel!

Fish and chips is about as far as I can be dragged down the British path. Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy the experience.

Otter, if you eat meat pies, roast beef, lamb with mint sauce, hearty casseroles, roasted potatoes, fruit pies etc..... you've certainly already ventured much further down the British path than fish and chips.... :cool:

yuck to most everything I saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was in Europe a few years ago and of the countries we toured, Britain was by far the least tasty.

:ROFLMAO: I wish you luck Ishbel. I married a pretty good "Pommie Dish", & there's no competition from that lot.

Meat & three veg is about my limit for the pommie cuisine, or a pork pie. :)

Ishbel said:

That food sounds awfully Montey Python-ish to me (no crunchy frogs, though)...Are you sure they're for real?

We have lots of traditional English treats here if you want to order some: http://www.tea-and-biscuits.com or http://www.thewhitewhale.com/tandbwwcopy.htm . This is a new section for The White Whale...Right now, we're especially loving the toffee and the choc caramel digestives, and the Jaffa Cakes are great, too.

My dream is a vacation in Scotland/Ireland/Wales/England, where my roots are. We're hoping for next year. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions, but I can go into any supermarket and pick up any of those products off the shelves - lucky me!

I have a friend who is addicted to Jaffa Cakes.

Well, I hope you make your holiday wishes come true. There is an awful lot to see and visit though - I think trying to get round every country in the UK, plus Eire might be ambitious for one trip.... unless you intend to come for a minimum of 6 weeks or so.

Ishbel said:
Thanks for the suggestions, but I can go into any supermarket and pick up any of those products off the shelves - lucky me!

I have a friend who is addicted to Jaffa Cakes.

Well, I hope you make your holiday wishes come true. There is an awful lot to see and visit though - I think trying to get round every country in the UK, plus Eire might be ambitious for one trip.... unless you intend to come for a minimum of 6 weeks or so.

Silly me...Of course you can pick them up! I forgot you were over there. I don't think we've chatted, as I tend to just dash into the virtual cafe most days.

We're thinking vacation next year will be the week of April 15th, since everyone's doing taxes and not shopping online. What is a do-able itinerary for one week in Scotland? My sons are very in touch with their Scottish roots and really want to go.

I think it would be very interesting to visit this restaurant. you would have to go in with an OPEN MIND.

We visited England and Wales a few years ago and were very pleased with the food. We did not visit any high brow places, just lunch rooms etc. Everything we had was fresh and often with a personal touch.

Good friends of ours live in Kent. The assortment of foods in the supermarkets there is incredible. They have what they call Alladin's cave in their town (Faverhsam). It is full of fresh produce and the most exotic sauces and spices etc.

I have to defend British food. You can get poor food and poor cooking anywhere you go, The States included. You can also get really good food everywhere you go, if you know where to look.

Look what assorted British cooks have done for the way we think about food. Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey, Ainsley, etc. I don't know about American chef's as we don't get those shows on Television here. (The Netherlands).

Will stop here. I could go on and on.

Pam

Since I did state that English food when I was there wasn't very tasty, I must say that the breakfast assortment and tea menu was very nice. We stayed at the Thistle Tower Hotel in London and didn't have meals other than breakfast and tea there. The breakfast was quite a variety of foods so I just selected the ones I was sure I liked. The tea selection was very good - my first time at a real English tea. The meals I had out of the hotel were less than enthusiastic. Perhaps I ate at some of the wrong places.

Thanks for the support for British food, Pam! And you are right, we have some of the best chefs in the world, as well as some of the best food stores! (Mind you, I've never seen any of the US chefs except for the little Frenchman, whose name I forget, so cannot comment on all the chefs mentioned on this site!)

Thier. I hope your holiday plans come to frution. As to what is 'do-able', that would depend very much on what you wish to see. For instance, Edinburgh is worth at least 3 or 4 days, just on its own - we have the Castle, Holyrood Palace, the New Town (from late 1700s!), the Auld Toon, Greyfriar's, Grassmarket, Canongate, Royal Mile (C'Gate is part of the Mile long cobbled street between the Castle up on the rock, down to Holyrood Palace).... If you want to visit the Highlands then a car would be the best way to get aound, but I warn you, some of our roads are considered quite 'hairy' by tourists - single track with passing places only..... and you'll be driving on the 'wrong' side of the road! Isle of Skye is pretty and worth a visit, Perth, Inverness, Scone - and that's not even mentioning the Borders area, or Glasgow (yes, lots to see and do in Glasgow!)

Goodness..... I sound like a travel documentary! If you need specific advice, PM me nearer the time and I'll see if I can be of any help to you!

Wonderful! Thank you Ishbel. I'm going to pass on your wealth of information to my guys and we'll begin to plan. :) I'll be in touch with you in a bit if I have questions...Thanks for being so gracious!

Back
Top Bottom