"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 03-29-2005, 07:12 PM   #11
Head Chef

I NEVER ask what something cost.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:59 PM   #12
Head Chef

Me either, 2. It was always made very clear to me that asking was impolite. And it does rub me the wrong way when people come right out and say "How much did you pay for that?". Good thing I have no problem with responding "Nunya **** business!" hehe

Most people are very willing to share that kind of info without being asked directly though ... haha I mean I can't think of hardly any discussion regaurding houses where everyone isn't soon offering up tons of info about market value, taxes, asking price Vs selling price, mortgages, etc.

Z

Old 03-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I probably wouldn't ask unless it came up, since so many people are bothered by that. But anyone could ask me what I paid for something and it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Barbara
Old 03-30-2005, 10:34 AM   #14
Master Chef

Iím a very nosy person and always want to know what and how much and where etc., etc. However people a lot of times are not very forward with their answers. Sometimes some people are simply lying about the price, I hate that. With Internet there are ways of searching the info from the county so you may find answers without asking the questions.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
Master Chef

I think you've gotten some mixed feeling with this post Kitchen.........head up! Frankly I don't give a rats if anyone asks me what I paid for my house or what the asking price is right now that its up for sale.

Wanna know....huh.....come on ask me.....ok here goes...........paid 54,000 (foreclosure) market value 5 years later (164,900) after the remodel.

If your not sure how your friends would react with your asking them flat out you may consider casually mentioning that you've thought of selling your home because of the memories that are a part of it but your reluctant because you have no idea what another would cost. This may or may not lead to them disclosing the amount they paid. If they disregard it make a mental note that this particular friend is one with a need to know basis attitude and avoid those questions in the future.

My advice if your really thinking of looking for another home is to go to a realtors office and tell them you would like to see a a listing of what homes they have listed. Explain that you only wish to have the information in hand at the time so that you can review it in the comforts of your own home. Also, include that if you should find one that you are interested in you will gladly call them rather than they call you. This should set the tone and put you in the drivers seat. If memory serves me right there are places on the internet where you can put in the numbers and determine what your payments would run you at the current interest rate you bank would charge. This way you can determine just what price range you can afford. Hope this helps!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:44 PM   #16
Master Chef

Oh.....I forgot a good source online is www.realtor.com. Just type in the zip of the area your interested in living in and it'll bring up homes for sale in that area with all the information.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:02 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Sizz

One thing about you Sizz, is you come right to the point. Meat and potatoes. You don't hehaw around. I like your outgoing attitude that it is your life and no one will make any difference if they do or don't like it. I admire that quality in your posts and always have. I thank you always for your responses to me. You are always so helpful and I commend you for it. True friend. Oh, and no wonder your house has increase? Look at the unselfish attitude you have about your life. You answered me in the freshest forthright way and keep on keepin' on. It will always always be returned. You can BANK on it. Once again, you have come through for me. Seek and find, I sure have.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:06 PM   #18
Master Chef

Careful Kitchen or my head will begin to swell..........and I just recently got these locks touched up so don't want to distract for the awesome highlights . Thanks for your kind words though.....your a doll. I too enjoy your posts.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:05 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I'm uncomfortable with personal questions, so I don't ask personal questions. If I am close with someone, that's a different story. Don't mind too much if someone asks how much I paid for something, but find it a bit tacky & rude. If I get a great "deal" on something, I'm always willing to share.

When I liisted my home, had no problem telling people what the asking price was. I go to realtor.com often. If you plan on selling, a realtor will tell you what the last one similar to yours sold for, when it sold & give you an idea of your market value. They can pull it up on their puter in a matter of moments.

When people ask questions like, how much do you have in the bank or what's your income, I regard it as being rude & nosey; & in all liklihood, those are the people who tend to gossip. Too much idle curiousity. That's just my humble opinion.