Buys House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
When someone in your crowd buys a house do you ask how much they paid for it? There are several people who have gotten different home and I am so curious but afraid to ask. Since I never have moved they never ask me. I sure would like to know though. Wouldn't you? Or is this something to do with being rude? Thanks.

I always ask. I figure if it is rude I will figure that out from the looks I get. But I am always interested too. I say go for it.

I usually ask what the asking price was. Since that was public at some point I figure that is not rude. if they don't mind telling you what they paid then they will usually tell you the asking price and then what they ended up paying.

I always ask how much something cost them and then I usually follow up with a variety of insulting comments. That's just with dear friends that know I'm joking, tho, I guess it depends how close you are to the folks in question.

I don't ask what people paid for something like that. I don't think it's my business. I know you could scour the papers to find out later, but I wouldn't come out and ask. If they don't mind people knowing, they'll tell you.

BC

Last edited:
Price of House

The reason for the question is I have not bought a house for many many years. Same one and I would like to know if my friends can afford it why not me? I have had so may sad memories with this house since I was married for long time to man who made my life miserable. Personally, I do not like to have saleman tell me no problem and then I worry about putting food on the table. I get mixed feedback here and I guess it is mainly up to the people involved if they think you are being too personal. I am always happy when someone get a house they want. I am not jealous by any means even though people have told me I sound jealous. I just make comments about house being so nice and they misconstrue that as jealousy. I have read as a man thinkth so is he. Holds true in this case. Thanks you all for your honesty and if I ask you the price of the house consider the source and do as your heart leads. Thank you all.

We always ask.
Mostly because we try to keep up on
how much ours is worth. Besides.. I think people who buy houses like to tell how much they spent or and saved. :)

Anyone trying to hide how much they paid for a house is probably trying to hide something else. After all, real estate transactions are genrally matters of public record. In fact, all I have to do is punch in my street address - not even the city or state - into google, and the very fist listing is from the Detroit Free Press listing the sale price (they got it slightly wrong, but there it is...).

I might preface it with a "If you don't mind me asking", but it really isn't that hard to find out.

Asking about the mortgage they took out on it, however....:shock:

John

I don't agree at all about "trying to hide" what someone paid for a house and having other things to hide. What I paid for my house is my business. Any house is a lot of money and I was always taught that you don't discuss things like that in polite company. And we certainly don't have anything to hide. What I can or choose to afford is simply not anyone's affair but mine. You can look it up if you want that badly to know or if you want badly enough to be nosy about my life, although it's fairly easy to guess these things if you ever go to an open house or look at a real estate page in the newspaper. But I don't agree that since I don't advertise what I paid for my house that I have something in my closet.

BC

Me either, 2. It was always made very clear to me that asking was impolite. And it does rub me the wrong way when people come right out and say "How much did you pay for that?". Good thing I have no problem with responding "Nunya **** business!" hehe

Most people are very willing to share that kind of info without being asked directly though ... haha I mean I can't think of hardly any discussion regaurding houses where everyone isn't soon offering up tons of info about market value, taxes, asking price Vs selling price, mortgages, etc.

:heart:
Z

I probably wouldn't ask unless it came up, since so many people are bothered by that. But anyone could ask me what I paid for something and it wouldn't bother me a bit.

:) Barbara

I’m a very nosy person :blush: and always want to know what and how much and where etc., etc. However people a lot of times are not very forward with their answers. Sometimes some people are simply lying about the price, I hate that. With Internet there are ways of searching the info from the county so you may find answers without asking the questions.

I think you've gotten some mixed feeling with this post Kitchen.........head up! Frankly I don't give a rats if anyone asks me what I paid for my house or what the asking price is right now that its up for sale.

Wanna know....huh.....come on ask me.....ok here goes...........paid 54,000 (foreclosure) market value 5 years later (164,900) after the remodel. :)

If your not sure how your friends would react with your asking them flat out you may consider casually mentioning that you've thought of selling your home because of the memories that are a part of it but your reluctant because you have no idea what another would cost. This may or may not lead to them disclosing the amount they paid. If they disregard it make a mental note that this particular friend is one with a need to know basis attitude and avoid those questions in the future.

My advice if your really thinking of looking for another home is to go to a realtors office and tell them you would like to see a a listing of what homes they have listed. Explain that you only wish to have the information in hand at the time so that you can review it in the comforts of your own home. Also, include that if you should find one that you are interested in you will gladly call them rather than they call you. This should set the tone and put you in the drivers seat. If memory serves me right there are places on the internet where you can put in the numbers and determine what your payments would run you at the current interest rate you bank would charge. This way you can determine just what price range you can afford. Hope this helps!

Oh.....I forgot a good source online is www.realtor.com. Just type in the zip of the area your interested in living in and it'll bring up homes for sale in that area with all the information.

Sizz

One thing about you Sizz, is you come right to the point. Meat and potatoes. You don't hehaw around. I like your outgoing attitude that it is your life and no one will make any difference if they do or don't like it. I admire that quality in your posts and always have. I thank you always for your responses to me. You are always so helpful and I commend you for it. True friend. Oh, and no wonder your house has increase? Look at the unselfish attitude you have about your life. You answered me in the freshest forthright way and keep on keepin' on. It will always always be returned. You can BANK on it. Once again, you have come through for me. Seek and find, I sure have.

Careful Kitchen or my head will begin to swell..........and I just recently got these locks touched up so don't want to distract for the awesome highlights :LOL: . Thanks for your kind words though.....your a doll. I too enjoy your posts.

I'm uncomfortable with personal questions, so I don't ask personal questions. If I am close with someone, that's a different story. Don't mind too much if someone asks how much I paid for something, but find it a bit tacky & rude. If I get a great "deal" on something, I'm always willing to share.

When I liisted my home, had no problem telling people what the asking price was. I go to realtor.com often. If you plan on selling, a realtor will tell you what the last one similar to yours sold for, when it sold & give you an idea of your market value. They can pull it up on their puter in a matter of moments.

When people ask questions like, how much do you have in the bank or what's your income, I regard it as being rude & nosey; & in all liklihood, those are the people who tend to gossip. Too much idle curiousity. That's just my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom