"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 03-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Buys House

When someone in your crowd buys a house do you ask how much they paid for it? There are several people who have gotten different home and I am so curious but afraid to ask. Since I never have moved they never ask me. I sure would like to know though. Wouldn't you? Or is this something to do with being rude? Thanks.

Old 03-27-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Everymom

I always ask. I figure if it is rude I will figure that out from the looks I get. But I am always interested too. I say go for it.

Old 03-27-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I usually ask what the asking price was. Since that was public at some point I figure that is not rude. if they don't mind telling you what they paid then they will usually tell you the asking price and then what they ended up paying.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I always ask how much something cost them and then I usually follow up with a variety of insulting comments. That's just with dear friends that know I'm joking, tho, I guess it depends how close you are to the folks in question.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I don't ask what people paid for something like that. I don't think it's my business. I know you could scour the papers to find out later, but I wouldn't come out and ask. If they don't mind people knowing, they'll tell you.

BC
Old 03-27-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Or as it's been said before, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
Old 03-29-2005, 11:52 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Price of House

The reason for the question is I have not bought a house for many many years. Same one and I would like to know if my friends can afford it why not me? I have had so may sad memories with this house since I was married for long time to man who made my life miserable. Personally, I do not like to have saleman tell me no problem and then I worry about putting food on the table. I get mixed feedback here and I guess it is mainly up to the people involved if they think you are being too personal. I am always happy when someone get a house they want. I am not jealous by any means even though people have told me I sound jealous. I just make comments about house being so nice and they misconstrue that as jealousy. I have read as a man thinkth so is he. Holds true in this case. Thanks you all for your honesty and if I ask you the price of the house consider the source and do as your heart leads. Thank you all.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We always ask.
Mostly because we try to keep up on
how much ours is worth. Besides.. I think people who buy houses like to tell how much they spent or and saved.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:11 PM   #9
Head Chef

Anyone trying to hide how much they paid for a house is probably trying to hide something else. After all, real estate transactions are genrally matters of public record. In fact, all I have to do is punch in my street address - not even the city or state - into google, and the very fist listing is from the Detroit Free Press listing the sale price (they got it slightly wrong, but there it is...).

I might preface it with a "If you don't mind me asking", but it really isn't that hard to find out.

Asking about the mortgage they took out on it, however....

John
Old 03-29-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I don't agree at all about "trying to hide" what someone paid for a house and having other things to hide. What I paid for my house is my business. Any house is a lot of money and I was always taught that you don't discuss things like that in polite company. And we certainly don't have anything to hide. What I can or choose to afford is simply not anyone's affair but mine. You can look it up if you want that badly to know or if you want badly enough to be nosy about my life, although it's fairly easy to guess these things if you ever go to an open house or look at a real estate page in the newspaper. But I don't agree that since I don't advertise what I paid for my house that I have something in my closet.

BC