Carbon Monoxide Detectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Does anyone know anything about these? I want to get one (or more), but here is my question...

I have recently seen commercials for one particular brand (I don't know which one it is though). In the commercials they show the detector plugged into an outlet down low. Is Carbon Monoxide heavier than air? I always though the detectors were more like a smoke alarm and should be mounted high.

This probably isn't very helpful but any carbon monoxide detector I've ever seen is always mounted near (if not on) the ceiling. My dad is a firefighter, I'll call and ask him.

Thanks DC. Actually that is pretty helpful. Let me know what your dad says. Thanks!

i've always seen them mounted low? at least not more than 3 feet above the floor. now i'm puzzled. we're thinking about getting one too, so now i'm curious as to see which is the correct mounting.

I don't know either, Middie. We have CO detectors at work that are up high. :? I don't know if CO gas is heavy, neutral or bouyant. If no one else answers, I'll let you know what Dad says.

Where Should I Place a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

Because carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and also because it may be found with warm, rising air, detectors should be placed on a wall about 5 feet above the floor. The detector may be placed on the ceiling. Do not place the detector right next to or over a fireplace or flame-producing appliance. Keep the detector out of the way of pets and children. Each floor needs a separate detector. If you getting a single carbon monoxide detector, place it near the sleeping area and make certain the alarm is loud enough to wake you up.

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa092202a.htm

WE'RE GONNA DIE!!! Ours plug into the electric outlets down near the floors.

At least our smoke detectors are hardwired into the ceilings. Don't have to remember to change batteries on those.

The only time ours went off was when we were camping in Las Vegas..it was on a counter near Kevin's head..he was sleeping on the couch. The windows were open in the trailer so it turns out it was the L.V. air! thus was at 3 A.M. When we all got up and turned on the TV, they were asking people not to drive..we could see the air..looked like L.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom