"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 03-21-2005, 02:09 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Wanted to mention, if you have wall to wall, pull up a corner of the carpet & see what's underneath - hard wood, mold, etc.

Walk through your local home depot center. You may find ideas you'd never thought of. Shop around & compare prices.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:58 PM   #12
Master Chef

I personally hate wall-to-wall, as easy as it is on the feet and back, when it stains it is done and I'm not a neat person and love red wine. On the other hand, it is the least expensive to replace. Almost everyone I know loves, just adores, their laminate (i.e., Pergo). I'm a bit limited here by a 150 year old house with dark pine floors, but will take the kitchen and sand it down and polyeurethane it. I've had polyeurethane wood floors before and they were wonderful. I loved the ceramic floors I had but you need to keep a few things in mind -- #1, anything that drops on them will break, and #2 if you live with hard water, the grout should NOT be white, because it will stain.

Old 03-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #13
Head Chef

Thanks for all the comments, I now have a better Idea of what i need.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:30 PM   #14
Certified Executive Chef

given a choice, I would always opt for hardwood floors, and perhaps ceramic tile in kitchen. IMHO easier to care for.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:42 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I want to get rid of all my wall to wall I have two dogs and two cats the hair gets impossible to clean on .For the linolium floor in my kitchen I use a hard floor vacumn and it works great.

All you are doing when you steam clean your carpets is making mud pies underneath. If you have a smooth floor you can get somewhat inexpensive area rugs and whats neat about that you can change them out with the seasons and they are easier to clean.If you get cold feet just get some nice comfy slip on slippers.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I've had one house with hardwood floors and a linoleum kitchen and now have wall to wall, with Pergo in one room and Porcelain tile in the kitchen. Both houses held a couple of humans, a couple of cats and one small dog. The cat hair is worse, of course on the hard surface floors, and you can track dust and whatnot around on your cold little feetsies, which is a drag when you carry that dust or dirt onto the carpeted areas (my carpet is a very light cream color). Hardwood does scratch, and water stain, but it's very nice. To keep it nice is a bit of a pain. Maybe the newer ones are easier - mine was an older home. It took a lot of dust mopping and mopping in general, and the traffic areas did look worn easily, just like with carpet.

I have a bit of trouble with the Pergo looking filmy after washing and is it LOUD! I dropped a fork on it and everyone practically jumped out of their skin! But it doesn't scratch. You still have cat hair and dust though.

I don't think you mentioned tile, but it is also nice. Boy you had better not drop a glass or a plate though. They explode! My tile is fairly easy to clean, but it has a bit of a rough surface and I go through mop heads regularly. Linoleum (or whatever they call it now - "No Wax" I think) is icky.

Carpet is soft and quiet and warm, but you have to vacuum a lot. Of course, spills are a bigger problem than on your hard surface floors, but if you are diligent, you can keep them at bay as well. Generally, I've been happy with carpet as long as I keep it clean.

My expert opinion - get what you want to have in the house, but realize that you have to clean it OFTEN, and none of these surfaces are the easiest to clean properly.
BC