Charles and Camilla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles? Camilla? Get a life..... and a REAL job too. :neutral: I just dont understand why people would care about these no-job freeloaders. I say they should give up their possesions, give up their pay and give all of it too the people / gov't of England. The coverage for this event was huge! And EVERY person I speak with could care LESS about it. What were the news stations thinking?! Who knows.... I very well could be very wrong.

That's amazing, Barb. I'm so glad that MSNBC approves of Charles' infidelity to Diana. :furious:

Sush, I remember watching Sara Ferguson's ceremony for whatever and WOW! The pomp and circumstance for someone who realistically has NO power over anything was mind-boggling. I hope I'm not insulting our friends across the pond and maybe I'm just a typical dumb American but it makes zero sense to me.

Barbara L said:
This is a quote from an MSNBC story today: "The wedding capped a decades-long love affair that endured the prince's first marriage to Princess Diana and constant tabloid scrutiny." Isn't it nice to know (for those who don't know me, yes I am being facetious) that their affair "endured" his marriage to Princess Diana? I could definitely have thought of a better way to put that! Sheesh!

:) Barbara

It should have been "endured through". In this case, it means "lasted", not "put up with"!!

My family, especially my mother, always had respect for the Royal Family, and we admired Elizabeth and her contributions to the country during and after the war. However, I think her children and grandchildren were growing up at a time when the whole cultural picture was changing drastically, especiall during and after the sixties, and I think they're totally socially and spiritually confused. Who/how are they supposed to be now? And the British press is absolutely ruthless. You'd have to be oblivious to everything said about you just to function.

It's a mess, but not all of their making....

That's an interesting take on the situation, Thier, and I can't disagree with you. I still think Charles is rotten for cheating on Diana, tho.

DampCharcoal said:
That's an interesting take on the situation, Thier, and I can't disagree with you. I still think Charles is rotten for cheating on Diana, tho.
that man gets no respect from me just for that reason damp. he used poor diana for an heir. cruel. sorry don't want to offend anyone in the u.k. but that's how i feel.

Rich or poor, royalty or the average person, an affair is cheap and wrong. I say stand up to your mother and marry the woman you really want to in the first place (yeah, I know, it was "out of the question" for him--but if he couldn't marry her then, he should not have married someone else and drug her through the mud). Ok, I'm getting off of my soapbox now!

This is my HO, and I'll probably be in the minority. I actually like Charles, I think he has a great sense of humour, but its been stifled by royal protocol. Although I do not condone his unfaithfulness.

It is my belief that the Queen herself, could have played a part in saving Charles and Diana's marriage, but chose not to. It is well documented that Diana went to the Queen, pleading with her to end the affair of Charles and Camilla, but the Queen allegedly shrugged and did nothing. I feel that the Queen could have told Charles to be faithful to his wife, or loose the title of Prince of Wales, (and possibly his right to be heir to the throne)

If the Queen had acted, as per my suggestion, I believe that Diana, just maybe, would still alive today and still married to Charles. After all, the Queen was quick to intervene with Princess Margaret and one of her pending marriages.

I personally dont care for the Queen, and cant help but wonder why she didn't attend the Pope's funeral. After all, she is the Head of the Commonwealth, as well as being the Head of the Church of England.

I mean no offence to our friends in the UK here, but strongly feel that if a few choice words had been spoken about 20 years ago, it may have dramatically changed the course of history for the better.

Aussie girl,

I don't know enough about the ins and outs of England and royalty, but what you said makes sense. Obviously no country's leaders are without fault, but most aren't quite so publicized as Great Britain's are. I'm pretty happy with my life of obscurity!

Traditionally, as head of the Church of England, the Queen has a very 'delicate' relationship with the Catholic Church - hence she only met the pope once (or maybe twice) in her lifetime - and only in fairly recent times.

The Queen cannot disinherit the PoW - our rules of succession do not allow for that.

The Prince can, however, choose to relinquish HIS claim to the Throne - but I can't see the man ever doing that. He, like his mother, believes that the annointing of Kingship is a matter of a pledge between himself/herself and god. Not that I believe it, just that THAT is the way it is!

The Queen appears distant and her son has spent his entire adult life trying to persuade the peoples of the United Kingdom that he has had a hard life... YEAH, RIGHT... Interestingly, his sister, Princess Anne, said that his version of their childhood was very different to her version. Personaly, I think that is probably because Princess Anne got all the backbone available to that family. ;)

I managed to avoid the whole thing on TV as we had guests... Luckily, like most Scots we are not monarchists :mrgreen:

Camilla has succeeded where her grandmother or great, couldn't. She (Camilla) graduated from the royal bed to the royal altar. Must be quite a royal feather in her cap. How many husbands has she cuckolded? She must have a very special personality.

As far as I am aware, she has only had one previous husband - so the answer to your question must be one.

And frankly, even if cheating on a spouse was to be only allowed to us 'commoners' it would be a club with a fairly hefty membership, don't you think?

Experience

Knowing what I do from my own marriage, my mother in law always felt whatever her son did was okay. She could have told him not to degrade me in front of his family and friends but instead she remained quiet and said nothing. I surely would have told anyone who comments derogatory remarks to someone in my family. Not necessary. I would have commented something positive about the person. I just wonder what Diana had to go through. Seemed so innocent. I know Camila must have thick skin. One remark was made, 'she walked in madam and came ut a mam'. How appropriate. People bowing down to her. Also saw picture of her with a horse face. My brothers don't think she is such a catch. They don't think she is attractive. She must have something we can't see! Think she cooks pretty good? Jane Fonda made remark that person can get used to being waited on pretty quick. Comfortable life. I'll never know. Would be awfully hard for me to bow down to Camilla after Diana. Diana seemed so loving. Oh, well doesn't matter what I think Charles gets what he wants.

As I have previously stated, I have absolutely no interest in the British royal family. But, c'mon folks, some of the comments on here about their looks etc are really low blows.

Ishbel, I apologize. One often feels if one has money that makes difference in their appearance. No one looks inside anymore. All these makeover and diet show are so popular makes you wonder how many flaws you have and if someone will ask if you want to be on makeover. My cousin thought I was thoughtless when I never commented that I noticed she lost weight. I really don't look at someone for their appearance. Only so they keep clean. I don't like someone who smells dirty.

ITK
Please, please don't apologise to ME. I'm just not comfortable with the level of personal comments about a family I couldn't care less about, but none of whom have asked to be in the position they find themselves in :cool:

As a foreigner, it would be rude of me to make comments about the family of your President. I would conside it rude and uncalled-for, even though I do have pretty strong views about their appearances and personal habits :-p

(BTW, that doesn't mean I won't make my feelings plain about the POLICIES of Mr Bush's GOVT, where those policies affect me, or my country - but internal political matters should, quite rightly in my view, only be discussed between citizens of your country!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom