"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-10-2005, 02:42 AM   #21
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Charles? Camilla? Get a life..... and a REAL job too. I just dont understand why people would care about these no-job freeloaders. I say they should give up their possesions, give up their pay and give all of it too the people / gov't of England. The coverage for this event was huge! And EVERY person I speak with could care LESS about it. What were the news stations thinking?! Who knows.... I very well could be very wrong.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #22
Executive Chef

That's amazing, Barb. I'm so glad that MSNBC approves of Charles' infidelity to Diana.

Sush, I remember watching Sara Ferguson's ceremony for whatever and WOW! The pomp and circumstance for someone who realistically has NO power over anything was mind-boggling. I hope I'm not insulting our friends across the pond and maybe I'm just a typical dumb American but it makes zero sense to me.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #23
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
This is a quote from an MSNBC story today: "The wedding capped a decades-long love affair that endured the prince's first marriage to Princess Diana and constant tabloid scrutiny." Isn't it nice to know (for those who don't know me, yes I am being facetious) that their affair "endured" his marriage to Princess Diana? I could definitely have thought of a better way to put that! Sheesh!

Barbara
It should have been "endured through". In this case, it means "lasted", not "put up with"!!
Old 04-10-2005, 03:36 PM   #24
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
My family, especially my mother, always had respect for the Royal Family, and we admired Elizabeth and her contributions to the country during and after the war. However, I think her children and grandchildren were growing up at a time when the whole cultural picture was changing drastically, especiall during and after the sixties, and I think they're totally socially and spiritually confused. Who/how are they supposed to be now? And the British press is absolutely ruthless. You'd have to be oblivious to everything said about you just to function.

It's a mess, but not all of their making....
Old 04-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #25
Executive Chef

That's an interesting take on the situation, Thier, and I can't disagree with you. I still think Charles is rotten for cheating on Diana, tho.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
That's an interesting take on the situation, Thier, and I can't disagree with you. I still think Charles is rotten for cheating on Diana, tho.
that man gets no respect from me just for that reason damp. he used poor diana for an heir. cruel. sorry don't want to offend anyone in the u.k. but that's how i feel.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:29 PM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Rich or poor, royalty or the average person, an affair is cheap and wrong. I say stand up to your mother and marry the woman you really want to in the first place (yeah, I know, it was "out of the question" for him--but if he couldn't marry her then, he should not have married someone else and drug her through the mud). Ok, I'm getting off of my soapbox now!

Barbara
Old 04-11-2005, 12:37 AM   #28
Senior Cook

This is my HO, and I'll probably be in the minority. I actually like Charles, I think he has a great sense of humour, but its been stifled by royal protocol. Although I do not condone his unfaithfulness.

It is my belief that the Queen herself, could have played a part in saving Charles and Diana's marriage, but chose not to. It is well documented that Diana went to the Queen, pleading with her to end the affair of Charles and Camilla, but the Queen allegedly shrugged and did nothing. I feel that the Queen could have told Charles to be faithful to his wife, or loose the title of Prince of Wales, (and possibly his right to be heir to the throne)

If the Queen had acted, as per my suggestion, I believe that Diana, just maybe, would still alive today and still married to Charles. After all, the Queen was quick to intervene with Princess Margaret and one of her pending marriages.

I personally dont care for the Queen, and cant help but wonder why she didn't attend the Pope's funeral. After all, she is the Head of the Commonwealth, as well as being the Head of the Church of England.

I mean no offence to our friends in the UK here, but strongly feel that if a few choice words had been spoken about 20 years ago, it may have dramatically changed the course of history for the better.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:45 AM   #29
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Aussie girl,

I don't know enough about the ins and outs of England and royalty, but what you said makes sense. Obviously no country's leaders are without fault, but most aren't quite so publicized as Great Britain's are. I'm pretty happy with my life of obscurity!

Barbara
Old 04-11-2005, 04:38 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Traditionally, as head of the Church of England, the Queen has a very 'delicate' relationship with the Catholic Church - hence she only met the pope once (or maybe twice) in her lifetime - and only in fairly recent times.

The Queen cannot disinherit the PoW - our rules of succession do not allow for that.

The Prince can, however, choose to relinquish HIS claim to the Throne - but I can't see the man ever doing that. He, like his mother, believes that the annointing of Kingship is a matter of a pledge between himself/herself and god. Not that I believe it, just that THAT is the way it is!

The Queen appears distant and her son has spent his entire adult life trying to persuade the peoples of the United Kingdom that he has had a hard life... YEAH, RIGHT... Interestingly, his sister, Princess Anne, said that his version of their childhood was very different to her version. Personaly, I think that is probably because Princess Anne got all the backbone available to that family. ;)

I managed to avoid the whole thing on TV as we had guests... Luckily, like most Scots we are not monarchists