Children at a Graduation Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vegas Girl

Senior Cook
You guys helped me out with great serving ideas regarding the party. Now another issue has come up. I invited one of my bosses because she has met my son several times, and she said she'd be bringing her children, ages 12, 9 & 7. I also just found out my cousin will be bringing her kids (I thought they'd be out of town), three boys ages 4, 5 & 6. They're the ones I'm worried about since they're very active, unruly and just plain annoying although their parents and grandparents think they're angels.
rolleyes.gif

I don't want them messing up the food displays for the other guests that I will put a lot of time into. They also will eat practically only potato chips and sweets although their parents will give them food, which they always waste. I don't want "good" food wasted on their plates which could be used for other guests. They also always want (and their parents give them) big pieces of cake and all they do is eat some frosting and leave the rest. Per another board member's suggestion, I was going to have a few other kinds of bakery/cookies and just buy a smaller size cake, so I don't want them taking a whole row of cake that the adults could have eaten.

What I was thinking of doing, and this is what I'd like your opinion on, was to have a small table and make a sign saying "Kids" and put out hotdogs, cut in half, their own bowl of chips to put their hands in, and some cupcakes. I was thinking of making the cupcakes ahead. I could freeze them, couldn't I?

I don't want my boss to think her kids can't take any of the adult food if they want it, so should I tell her this was really meant for the other kids? Of course, I don't want to offend anyone...and I'm only being blunt on this forum...do you think that's a tactful enough way to handle it? Any other suggestions? I just don't want this adult party turned into a zoo.

I love the idea of a kids table. I might do it the next time my nephews show up with their parents. ( I feel about the same way about them as you do yours!!)

If you not only label the table for kids, but also let them know as they arrive that
"you know the other food would be boring for them, so you made them something special...just for THEM!",
it may help too.

Good luck with that!

Back
Top Bottom