Cleaning outdoor cushions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
We've had alot of rain here, and I had my cushions on the outdoor couch and chairs. They now have a green mold on them. What is the best way to clean them by hand?

Hey Amber, I have always found a vinegar solution works wonders. Then I make sure they dry thoroughly in the sun. Good luck.

Reminds me of a magazine article I read, one of those "green living" "green home" type ones, I can't remember the exact name of it.

Anyway, they suggested filling two spritzer bottles, one with vinegar and the other with hydrogen peroxide and spray those two lightly over just about any surface and wipe clean. You would effectively get rid of as many germs and bacterias as any expensive (and sometimes toxic) cleaner. It also does a knock-down job of getting stuff sparkly, shiney clean. It doesn't matter which you spray first. The odor does not linger.

It works beautifully on outdoor furniture covers! If it can take care of Seattle-style dampness issues it can take care of anything. =P

:heart:
Z

The best things thats worked for me is "Era Max" and a scrub brush.

Others have told me about something that the "Dollar General" or "Family Dollar" Stores carry called Mr. Green or something like that. I personally didn't have much luck with that though.....but then again I wasn't patient and let it sit and didn't have a scrub brush at the time.

i'd scrub them down with a mixture of dishsoap (it's antifungal), bleach and water with a nylon-bristled brush, then hose them of with a high-pressured hose and hang them to drip dry.
i'd definately try to find a way to hang them dry, as a wet cushion is just a breeding groung for new mold growth. the bacteria and fungus will thrive is the cushion is allowed to lay flat.

Thank you all for your replies. I tried the vinegar and water solution, but it's not getting rid of the mold ( I thought for sure that would work), so I will try all of your suggestions. Thanks again:)

When I had a swimming pool, I'd drop the cushions into the pool for a day and the chlorine in the pool water would clean them up and kill any bacteria responsible for mold, mildew, etc.

Of course, you had to allow a couple of days for them to dry.

If you don't haver a pool, sponge them down with a bleach water solution and let it dry naturally. Check the bleach bottle for proportions for tough cleaning jobs.

Amber, more vinegar less water. If it doesn't work then it is usually too weak a solution. Even try pouring it full strength on there. If you need to scrub 'em, scrub 'em. I have done this a few times and have always had success.

I have never tried the peroxide solution thing, but I bet that would work too.

Luvs suggestion for hanging is a good one too. Mostly you just need some SUN and heat to thoroughly dry those babies out.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

Ok, here's my update on the cushions. I used the bleach and water solution. It worked pretty good, thanks Andy. Now here's the stupid me part, I used an apron to protect my clothes, but neglected to use rubber gloves:rolleyes: So now my finger tips on my left hand are burned a bit. My fault, I should have known better. So let this be a lesson to everyone, use rubber gloves!:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom