"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 12-02-2004, 07:53 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Guess what? I think that 14 hour annual limit must be true. There are bell ringers all around the place, but none at Walmart. Like I said, I don't recall seeing them there last year and I didn't see them today.

I guess you need to add Walmart to your list of places you will not shop at.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:58 PM   #12
Executive Chef

It's only the 2nd of December. Don't jump to conclusions so quickly.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:35 PM   #13
Sous Chef

When was the last time you remember seeing them at Walmart? I see them at all the local businesses, but not at the big chains and not at the big malls.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:43 PM   #14
Executive Chef

The Salvation Army is still ringing the bell here at Kroger. I can't speak for Walmart, but they are still here and I don't mind giving.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:19 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I think it's terrible that Target get such a bad rap. They had always had a no solicitation rule and made and exception in the case of the Salvation Army at Christmas time. Well, someone saw that as discriminating against their organization and put the pressure on to allow everyone to do it. So Target decided not to have their customers pestered by everyone in the world who wants to solicit in front of their store, and since they could not have one without the other, they decided to consider the customer. For this we should chastise them? I think they deserve a medal.

The Salvation Army seems to be a very worthwhile charity. I do feel guilty every time I pass one by without donating. I shouldn't, because I've just put money in 10 kettles before seeing this one, but I feel guilty. I don't think we need another thing to feel guilty about in this world. I think people should choose their charities without the hard sell - and they really should give, but Target is not the bad guy here.

BC
Old 12-03-2004, 07:56 PM   #16
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Nothing to worry about! I was railing against Walmart for not letting The Salvation Army to collect funds but I misread a newspiece! Whoops! I was wrong. :oops:
None of the retailers like it because some shoppers complain, so they painted, at least in California when I was there, little yellow boxes about 6 feet from the exit door and made the ringers stand there, next to a sign disclaiming them. They only places where I have seen them unincumbered was at Vons and at some local stores here in Eugene. Maybe I am wrong with what I heard, but that was always what I heard.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:29 AM   #17
Head Chef

For very personal reasons, I can never walk past a Salvation Army bell ringer without tossing in a buck or more.

The bells remind me that there is someone out there who could use their help; I welcome them.

It is one charity I willingly write a check to; the ringers remind me to do so again.

But I agree with previous posters that there is nothing more annoying than sending a few bucks to the "Trusses for Cats Foundation" and then receiving monthly pleas for more money.

I get the feeling that the money I gave them is just being spent on postage trying to yank more cash out of me.

If I believe I should help more cats get trusses then I will donate again, and I do not need a reminder, thank you.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:31 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Salvation Army will always be A-OK in my book, for personal reasons less dire that aunt dot's, but nevertheless....

Handy Husband was working on the renovation of the Pentagon. When the plane hit the building on 9/11, SA was RIGHT THERE the next day, providing whatever the firemen, FBI, DoD, hazmat people, construction workers, etc. needed in the way of hot coffee, hot food, clean socks, raincoats, a place to decompress, or any other thing necessary. They did not ask for anything, just PROVIDED around the clock. And in those early days afterward, it was literally around the clock for many weeks. Always fully staffed, fully prepared, and as kind as could be to anyone who needed whatever. Hubby would come home after 12- or 16-hour days tired, but at least well-fed and looked after. I cannot say enough good things about this organization.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:56 PM   #19
Certified Executive Chef

I have a problem with these charities. Several years ago I was accounting manager for a well know charity. I was horrified the first time I saw their financial statement. Only about 5% of what was collected acually went to the charity the rest was for salaries, fund raising, benefits for the executives. This charity shall remain nameless because I do not want to bad mouth any of them on the internet. My supervisors response to my questions was that it cost money to raise money and that the 5% of this organization was higher than most of the other ones. Therefore, I think twice before I give to any of them. BTW the one for which I worked is not one that has been mentioned here. I cannot speak for them. St. Vincent de Paul here in Eugene is one of the biggest and they have three sales outlets, the income of which has built two multi story low income family apartments and they are building another one. So here this particular one has something to show for what they collect. However, when I donate clothing, appliances, I always donate to the home for battered women.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:19 PM   #20
Executive Chef

DH and I clean out our closets every year and bring the clothes to the Homeless Shelter. We also give to the Homeless Viet-Nam Veterans Shelter. We have lots of homeless people in this state.