Do You Over-Shop at the Market?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh! I forgot something!
When I go into the store, my first stop is the Starbuck's, which is just inside. I order a coffee (the plain, brewed kind with nonfat milk) and drink that while I shop. (the carts even have drink holders). This fills me up so I don't buy snackie-foods that you tend to buy when you're hungry.

I always overshop. Grocery stores love me. Today, I went to the store for bacon and pintos beans. In addition to those two items here is what I left the store with:

Tomatoes
Tri-tip
Pork loin
brussel sprouts
green leaf lettuce
garlic tortillas
bleu cheese salad dressing
salsa
polenta
zucchini

Sigh! :rolleyes:

When I was a child, we had 5 & dime stores such as Scott's, and Kresges (for-runner to Kmart). Now we have the hundred dollar stores (Wal-Mart and any grocery store). With my wife with me, I rarely get out of either without having spent a hundred bucks (heavy sigh) :(

But all's not lost. At least I'm supporting those whose meager paychecks depend on such establishments, as poorly as they pay.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
When I was a child, we had 5 & dime stores

Goodweed, I remember 5 & dime stores, one called Woolworth in Manhattan. They didn't sell groceries, but (when I was a kid), you could sit at the lunch counter - order a sammich (loved the club - turkey, bLT), pie or a banana split.

A chain store called the 99 cent only stores, have been around for a while here. I go in for a few items, & wind up bringing home more than I planned on. Great idea. Wish I'd thought of it.

kadesma said:
Mish, it happens every saturday:LOL: Since I have the whole gang here every sunday, I shop on saturday and sure enough I always find something else to fix so they can have something "NEW" :ROFLMAO: Don't know if it's mother love or the yerning chef in me trying to get out:ROFLMAO:

kadesma:)

Smiling, Kadesma. Think it's both. Grandmas always have something special cooking & are the best cooks :) Hope you're writing all these recipes down (& will share them with us too). My Hungarian grandmother would cook for an army. We'd all pile into grandma's house after the beach on the weekends...& what a feast it was.

I used to shop on Saturday's too. Then realized what a busy shopping day it was, & changed my strategy. Found when I shopped during the week or after 6:00 PM, the store was much less crowded. Better still, is shopping after midnight. No lines, no crowds.

SierraCook said:
They are made by Mission. They are called Zesty Garlic Herb wraps. I use them to make wraps for my lunch. The one I bought the other day was the jalapeno.

http://www.missionfoods.com/products/product.asp?p=wraps

I'm gonna look for those - Mission is my favorite.
Y'know, at Disney's California Adventure, they have a Mission Tortilla Plant, where you learn about how they make 'em, then you watch the process. When you're done, you get a sample that's "hot off the presses" - YUM!

jkath said:
I'm gonna look for those - Mission is my favorite.
Y'know, at Disney's California Adventure, they have a Mission Tortilla Plant, where you learn about how they make 'em, then you watch the process. When you're done, you get a sample that's "hot off the presses" - YUM!

That does sound yummy. I have not been to Southern CA for awhile. The last time I was there was for a friends 30th. birthday party. That was in 2001.

Yes I do it all the time. I go into the store for 10 items and come out with 50 so this is why I send my daughter to do my shopping anymore.:ROFLMAO:

mish said:
Smiling, Kadesma. Think it's both. Grandmas always have something special cooking & are the best cooks :) Hope you're writing all these recipes down (& will share them with us too). My Hungarian grandmother would cook for an army. We'd all pile into grandma's house after the beach on the weekends...& what a feast it was.

I used to shop on Saturday's too. Then realized what a busy shopping day it was, & changed my strategy. Found when I shopped during the week or after 6:00 PM, the store was much less crowded. Better still, is shopping after midnight. No lines, no crowds.
My reason for shopping on staurday is so I can take my mom with me..We really don't want her to drive anymore,(sh is very very forgetful and gets lost easy) and I do go early so I can hit the bread that has just been brought in from the bakery. I love ciabatta, sour dough, french, and don't always have time to make it now.
I have written down many recipes for the kids and would be happy to share here if anyone see's anything I mention and would like it, I'll gladly post the recipe.
Your gramma sounds like one great cook..I remember going to my grandma's both of then even and loved anything they made for us. Although my mom's dad did most of the cooking and it was Italian based :) gramma made mean cookies and pies :)
gotta run ravioli sauce needs checking:) It's for my grandsons first birthday party this saturday:LOL:
kadesma

i went to Giant Eagle to get a steak, some French Pyreness, a jar of devonshire cream, whipping cream, and some ice cream.
i ended up spending $125.:ermm:
i do this clothes and Wal-mart shopping, too.
i'll go into the mall for a tank top and some body spray and spend $300.
i'll go to wal-mart for some popsicles and some nail polish and i'll come out with a cartful of groceries and goodies.

Back
Top Bottom