"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat
Old 05-20-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Do You Over-Shop at the Market?

I only needed a few things. But, somehow (even with a list), before I knew it, I've spent/bought much more than I planned. Has this happened to you?

Old 05-20-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
This has happened to me, but usually I stick to my list.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
Old 05-20-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Cook
I try and try to stick to my list but always find other things I "just have to have" or think we need.
Lord, put your arms around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
Executive Chef
You must have great will-power, GB. The "super" market strategy is to get us to buy more...i.e. you need to walk thru the aisles to the back of the store to get dairy/bread staples. Along the way, they tempt you with all the other goodies like cookies, cakes etc. Thank goodness, I can walk past those items.

The checkout line is a hoot...candy, gum, tabloids. Fortunately(?), I linger in the deli/salad bar, seafood, produce sections. Then, think, okay, I'll buy two. One for when I get home & one for later.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I over-shop if I find something good on sale. I do pretty good at sticking to my list though.
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
Old 05-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #6
Head Chef
If you spend the majority of your grocery money on items found in the outer perimeter of the store you'd be eating well. =P It's the dreaded inner-isle stuff that we should try to have less of.

If I have a list I'm good about sticking to it. I'm also pretty good about just shopping enough for a day or two. But if I go the store with no plan it's always ugly. Weird, strange and usually very unnecessary stuff finds its way home with me. Shopping while hungry is also a huge mistake for me. Again, I find myself reaching for things then that I'd usually ignore completely.

So yeah, Mish. Sometimes that happens to me in spite of my good intentions. =P

Edit: Shopping with children and / or friends is very dangerous! Gawds, the stuff I get talked into purchasing. =P I am always much more sucessful at sticking to my list when I'm alone.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:17 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
LOL... every single time!
I always have my list and I always double it.
It's ok though. I have a huge pantry.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
Old 05-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Did my husband tell you to post this?

Yes, I tend to overshop - I'm a fresh produce/veggie junkie - I always buy too much and then have to scramble to make something before things go bad.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 05-20-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
me too elfie. i don't think i have ever just bought what was on my list, ever. then i find myself grilling in the backyard at 10pm to cook things before they're bad. (not allowed to use the oven so late in case the smoke detectors go off.).

they end up being some pretty good lunches the next few days. makes my co-workers that are on diets go a little crazy, tho.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Kitchenelf, you sound like me. A trip to the Farmers' Market out here in So. CA is overdue. Great way to spend an afternoon.

The one huge market I love, has the best deli/sammich/salad bar. It's very tempting when you're looking over the honey smoked turkey & they say, here, try a sample.