DSL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
DSL Internet connection is finally coming to our area. I have a couple questions. 1). I'd like to know what speed is fast enough to be able to properly view Food Network "how to" videos (with my current 56k dialup they stop and buffer with the result that they are jerky and disjointed). Is 256k fast enough or should I go 512k or 768k? 2). Is Norton Internet Security with firewall the best way to go, or is there a better product? 3). Any other things that I should consider? Thanks. :ermm:

Hi Otter!

I would saw the faster the better - you may not want/need it now, but in my experience, mo faster = mo better :mrgreen:

Although it's possible that your speed choices will actually be limited as they roll the service out.

For security, we have a router with a firewall, but we also have Zone Alarm on the computers. It's a good program, and it's free.

John

ronjohn55 said:
Hi Otter!

I would saw the faster the better - you may not want/need it now, but in my experience, mo faster = mo better :mrgreen:

John
256k is the base and there is no additional charge for that when you purchase the package. 512k is +$10 per month and 768k is +$20. The only thing I really need speed for is the videos and an occasional program update download - I just don't know if 256k will be fast enough.

Hi Otter, i like your name!

Well i have a fairly new system and it Rocks!! I have 512 MB Ram, 160GB Hard Drive, Intel Pentium 4 Processor (Which is the most important thing) Do not go Celeron! I was very lucky, someone very special to me researched and researched to his :heart: content to find be the best on the market. And, i trust him with everything i got. Hes very intelligent with that kinda stuff. So i have the PERFECT SYSTEM for me! I hope i have helped you Otter.:LOL: :bounce:

I agree on the speed issue. Buy the most you can afford.

Norton Internet Securtity is rated the best according to a Consumer magazine that Reports on such things, but you aren't supposed to use their name. :mrgreen:
I have NIS installed and the one thing it does not do is stop all shareware/adware. I had to bring in Geeks On Call to fix the problem.

Faster the better. And 256k is slow. Can you get a cable modem instead? Call your cable company and see if they have high speed service. Cable modem speeds are usually way faster than DSL because DSL can have weak points in the phone lines. Like phone lines that still have 40 year old copper lines. See with DSL they will say 256k but the real number is usually way less because the lines are so old. Right now i'm using 3 megabit hight speed cable modem service. It runs about $40 / mo and I couldn't be happier.

a side note on cable modems...they = Free (basic) cable tv. its the same line and signal coming into your house..just put a 75 cent splitter (from radio shack) on the co-ax in your house!

spatulator said:
Faster the better. And 256k is slow. Can you get a cable modem instead? Call your cable company and see if they have high speed service. Cable modem speeds are usually way faster than DSL because DSL can have weak points in the phone lines. Like phone lines that still have 40 year old copper lines. See with DSL they will say 256k but the real number is usually way less because the lines are so old. Right now i'm using 3 megabit hight speed cable modem service. It runs about $40 / mo and I couldn't be happier.
I'm in the northwoods - lots of deer and eagles, but no cable modems. I'm just happy that we finally have DSL - it isn't an old hack job, it's supposed to be state of the art fiber optic. I don't need extremely high speed very often, so am trying to figure out if I can get by without one of the higher speed upgrades. Overall, it's an extremely attractive package of telephone/Internet/TV. Can't wait!

Last edited:
mugsy27 said:
a side note on cable modems...they = Free (basic) cable tv. its the same line and signal coming into your house..just put a 75 cent splitter (from radio shack) on the co-ax in your house!

Mugsy, you're promoting an illegal activity that carries a major fine.

Thanks Mugsy!

I didnt know that! But, what if you have all the other stations too? HBO, Cinemax, ETC? Is there a way to get those too?:)

Yep Andy, and they check the lines for illegal connections.

Otter, I ran into the same problem. I live 12 miles from the nearest store, way out in the country (boonies) and all I was able to get was dial up. DSL finally came to our area, but I was a mile form the limits. I ended up getting a Satellite connection which I have tweaked to 2000 - 2200 Kbp/s. As for your question to how fast you should get, faster the better. If the price for faster service is a problem, remember that even if you go with the 256k bandwidth, you can tweak it and get a little more speed out of it. One thing to consider is how far you are from the nearest DSL substation, the further you are the less bandwidth you will get. You could see if anyone around you has it and see how it runs at 256k.

As for firewalls, I like Zone Alarm best.

MODEM = MOdulate DEModulate, (like Sear, Meat, (protein), and let juices Redistribute (after (resting) after cooked to desired Temperature) Vote 5 Stars for Discuss Cooking!!!! :) Atomic Jed!

Back
Top Bottom