"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
Sous Chef

DSL

DSL Internet connection is finally coming to our area. I have a couple questions. 1). I'd like to know what speed is fast enough to be able to properly view Food Network "how to" videos (with my current 56k dialup they stop and buffer with the result that they are jerky and disjointed). Is 256k fast enough or should I go 512k or 768k? 2). Is Norton Internet Security with firewall the best way to go, or is there a better product? 3). Any other things that I should consider? Thanks.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
Head Chef

Hi Otter!

I would saw the faster the better - you may not want/need it now, but in my experience, mo faster = mo better

Although it's possible that your speed choices will actually be limited as they roll the service out.

For security, we have a router with a firewall, but we also have Zone Alarm on the computers. It's a good program, and it's free.

John

Old 04-06-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
Hi Otter!

I would saw the faster the better - you may not want/need it now, but in my experience, mo faster = mo better

John
256k is the base and there is no additional charge for that when you purchase the package. 512k is +$10 per month and 768k is +$20. The only thing I really need speed for is the videos and an occasional program update download - I just don't know if 256k will be fast enough.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:51 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
Arrow Hi Otter, i like your name!

Well i have a fairly new system and it Rocks!! I have 512 MB Ram, 160GB Hard Drive, Intel Pentium 4 Processor (Which is the most important thing) Do not go Celeron! I was very lucky, someone very special to me researched and researched to his content to find be the best on the market. And, i trust him with everything i got. Hes very intelligent with that kinda stuff. So i have the PERFECT SYSTEM for me! I hope i have helped you Otter.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree on the speed issue. Buy the most you can afford.

Norton Internet Securtity is rated the best according to a Consumer magazine that Reports on such things, but you aren't supposed to use their name.
I have NIS installed and the one thing it does not do is stop all shareware/adware. I had to bring in Geeks On Call to fix the problem.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Faster the better. And 256k is slow. Can you get a cable modem instead? Call your cable company and see if they have high speed service. Cable modem speeds are usually way faster than DSL because DSL can have weak points in the phone lines. Like phone lines that still have 40 year old copper lines. See with DSL they will say 256k but the real number is usually way less because the lines are so old. Right now i'm using 3 megabit hight speed cable modem service. It runs about $40 / mo and I couldn't be happier.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
Sous Chef

a side note on cable modems...they = Free (basic) cable tv. its the same line and signal coming into your house..just put a 75 cent splitter (from radio shack) on the co-ax in your house!
Old 04-06-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatulator
Faster the better. And 256k is slow. Can you get a cable modem instead? Call your cable company and see if they have high speed service. Cable modem speeds are usually way faster than DSL because DSL can have weak points in the phone lines. Like phone lines that still have 40 year old copper lines. See with DSL they will say 256k but the real number is usually way less because the lines are so old. Right now i'm using 3 megabit hight speed cable modem service. It runs about $40 / mo and I couldn't be happier.
I'm in the northwoods - lots of deer and eagles, but no cable modems. I'm just happy that we finally have DSL - it isn't an old hack job, it's supposed to be state of the art fiber optic. I don't need extremely high speed very often, so am trying to figure out if I can get by without one of the higher speed upgrades. Overall, it's an extremely attractive package of telephone/Internet/TV. Can't wait!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy27
a side note on cable modems...they = Free (basic) cable tv. its the same line and signal coming into your house..just put a 75 cent splitter (from radio shack) on the co-ax in your house!
Mugsy, you're promoting an illegal activity that carries a major fine.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:13 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
Question Thanks Mugsy!

I didnt know that! But, what if you have all the other stations too? HBO, Cinemax, ETC? Is there a way to get those too?