Dumpster Diving What a Sport ! Should be on TV!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maidrite

Contest Winner
"Dumpster Diving" the TV show I could be the Host ! :cool:
I bet most people have done this or wish they had!
I use to do it all the time, its funny and can be profitable! OK people admit it and what was your best Prize ? I KNOW YOU HAVE or Wish you had fess up now !

The Salvation Army store I used to frequent used to throw stuff out all the time. I made friends with the guy who "discarded" items.

I received:
3 huge garbage bags of white hotel towels in perfect shape.
a brand new 8 foot christmas tree
a stereo turntable in perfect condition
and other things I can't remember right now

I never went dumpster diving but I did go & shoot rats at the dump once. Now that was fun! Especially when the cops showed up & joined us because they were family friends!:ROFLMAO:

I have done that too crewsk, but lets think urban :LOL: , Choclatechef I too have found a turntable, pocket watches, all kinds of electronic gadgets. I found a 50 channel scanner that took me five minutes to fix. You have done well Choclatechef. Where I was raised they have citywide clean-up twice a year! You can throw anything away and they come pick it up at the curb. The only thing about that is some people don't take care when they grab stuff and make messes so they are starting to make rules about people picking stuff up because of the messes some make ! Its like free money though you clean the stuff up and have a Garage Sale ! :rolleyes:. I also metal Detected and have privey dug before ! They use to throw everything down in the old outhouses !

Last edited:
I never have but, I know a guy who
built his entire house of of stuff that he'd found in dumpsters and at
the dump. Pretty dang inpressive. He also built a straw bale house.

Rainee said:
CC, why did they throw out such good stuff?

They didn't have room for it, or didn't have time to test it, or it was January, and they did not want to store it until next Christmas.....lots of reasons.

Too much clutter I guess, and not everyone knows how to fix things or just doesn't want to take the time !
I have older ladies bring me their old necklaces to fix. Most of the time they just need to be restrung and they want me to put clips on the back of their earrings because they like the style of pierced earrings but they want them clip-ons! They are sweet old ladies, what do you do fix them at no charge. It means the world to them and it gives me a good feeling. There are more important things in life than money !
If we would be fair and trade and barter more we would be better off in this world !

Last edited:
ok, here's my favorite new web site. FreeCycle.org.

Dumpster diving and saving the earth at the same time.

Free is good!

i don't dumpster, but the BF got (the UGLIEST) laz-y-boy recliner.

now what I like is goodwill. i go to the boys' section and get little tee-shirts.

We had a clean-up day at work the other day. Some of the guys got a little overzealous and threw away some perfectly good bedframes. Our archaeologist is in the process of restoring our fire lookout towers for people to rent. So, he saw those bedframes and dived in the dumpster after them. It was hilarious because we rented the biggest dumpster you can get and he looked pretty small in it. :)

Many national forests rent renovated fire lookout towers. Here is the information on ours.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/recreation/svrd/calpine.shtml

http://www.firelookout.net/Individ_Lookouts/US595_Calpine_Hill.htm

Last edited:
I've never been dumpster diving, have always been chicken. Afraid I may run into something so totally disgusting that it would make me sick or I would get hurt. Oh why, oh why did my mom have such a wimpy daughter?

I would pick and choose were I go diving. School Dumpsters just after and Just before school starts are fun.
I was with a friend one time early in the morning looking through a dumpster and had 2 police officers inspected our "booty" this was Pirate Booty not Booty of this day. :LOL:
After close inspection they left, I just know they came back!
:wacko:

I don't. But, knew a guy who found & had five TVs in his living room -- all on at the same time. Use to like consignment shops & a little boutique(?) for the American Cancer Society. I felt that the monies were going to a good cause.

Last edited:
Mish that counts as treasure hunting, Thrift stores, are always fun. Thats were I find my Disco clothes now. :LOL: I firgure Disco will be in again soon so I will have a jump on people and just think how much money I will make with all those Leasure Suits. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Well, then, you'll need one of these :rolleyes:

(Don't get that white 3-piece suit dirty.)

(Barbara, you'll be in my prayers :LOL: )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom