"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat
Old 05-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
DC - you've gotten some good advice to which I can add no new thoughts. He thinks enough of your work to give you a raise as you are not making as much as the others. The owner was at least that considerate. No comment about raises and salary is avoidance for the sake of harmony, not lying to your friends.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 05-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Thanks, Elf. You and everyone else are right. It's just a frustrating situation, that's all.

Old 05-14-2005, 10:07 PM   #13
Master Chef
I'm absolutely with everyone here. Your salary is your business. If it is awkward because you've discussed such things with them before, then simply keep it in mind in the future. Money is a touchy issue, as is relative "success" when measured that way, and it's best simply to keep as quiet about it as you can.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i agree with everyone too. if you say something it'll only make things worse for everyone.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:00 AM   #15
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I think Spice said it very well. Damp I wouldnt say squat. Heck, if you say something the whole thing could implode!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #16
Master Chef
I'm glad you asked and are taking everyone advice and not saying anything. I imagine your boss is feeling the tug and pull sensation too. Encourage the others to ask to speak with the owner to find out what they can do to improve their chances of getting a raise. In the meantime they might explore their options and start seeing if there are any other openings somewhere else where the pay is better. But they should get their ducks in a row before walking away from a job where they have a great work relationship with their co-workers until they find something else they would be just as happy with.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
Old 05-15-2005, 10:50 AM   #17
Executive Chef
Claire, Middie and Sush, you're right. I did some thinking and although the situation is unfair in my eyes, the best thing do is to keep my trap shut and hope for the best. Sizz, what you talked about has been a topic of discussion between ourselves for the last two years but a handful of us have invested an enormous amount of time and effort over the past four years to make the course as successful as it is today. I hope that doesn't sound arrogant but it's the truth. I can't imagine anyone really leaving, I certainly won't, even if there are higher paying jobs at other golf courses and they're definitely out there. Thankfully, we all hold a letter of recommendation that could get us a job at the finest golf courses anywhere in the world but we want to stick with this one for the time being to see how things pan out. There's a tremendous amount of loyalty but quite honestly, I don't think a couple of the owners recognize it. Ah well, it's Sunday, it's a beautiful day and I'm not at work, so enough of that. I got me some grilling to do!!! Plus I promised my niece that I'd play soccer with her!
Old 05-15-2005, 05:16 PM   #18
Certified Executive Chef
When I was still working, usually in a managerial position, the topic of salary and raises was forbidden to be discussed among the employees. Also, termination was the usual result if you did discuss wages. A real problem would occur, if you told them you got a raise, especially as a new employee, they would be irate and scream to the boss, then who would be in trouble, you. You can always say you cannot afford to jeapordize your job by striking.