Ethical Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DampCharcoal

Executive Chef
Remember when I was all excited that I got a raise last weekend? The boss told mw not to tell anyone because not everyone got a raise. It turns out that no one else got a raise, just me. The other three got really crappy insurance. I imagine that I got a raise because the others make more than I do. The boss was gone for a doctor's appointment yesterday so we held an impromptu meeting and everyone was talking about not getting a raise and they were angry and that's an understatement. I said nothing about the fact that I got a raise but I plan to even tho the boss explicitly told me not to. Here's the pertinent facts: Nobody got a raise last year, nothing. We are a Top Ten public course and we get tons of business. The course is making money hand over fist. A couple of the guys were talking about going on strike which won't work, we'd just get fired. The problem is that we're all pretty close friends and I'm not going to keep a secret from them but if I tell them, it might make the situation worse. Any thoughts?

Wow that is a horrible situation to be in. Personally though, if it were me I would not say anything. Telling the other employees/friends will not change anything except show your boss that he can't trust you. He obviously thought highly enough about you to give you the one and only raise. He was the one who made the decision, not you. If you do spill the beans then your other co-workers will still not get a raise. The only thing that will change is your boss will now be mad at you.

I know at my company it is a firable (is that a word?) offense to discuss your salary with other employees.

Keep in mind this was not your decision so you should not feel guilty that the other people did not get anything. It might not be fair, but business is almost never fair. I am sure if it were up to you then you would have made a more equitable decision, but you had no say in the matter.

Damp,
If you tell them you might get fired because the boss asked you not to tell.
Could you find out how much the others make and then compare it to what you are being paid? If they make more maybe it's because they have been there longer..
Marge

You're right. It is a dilemma.

They're your friends so you don't want to lie to them. If you tell them, you have to assume the boss will find out. When he does, his perception of you will change - for the worse. That will, in turn, effect your job and your ability to earn a living.

I don't know your relative job status vs. the others or what your relationship is to the boss. You might consider talking to the boss about it in private. Why you, and not the others? Was your performance much better than theirs? Is he not happy with them and wants them to leave?

The safest advice is to stay out of the middle but that's not always easy to do.

Well, it wasn't the boss' decision to give the raise and insurance, it was the owner's decision. We have a great relationship with the boss, in fact, when our mechanic got married last fall, we were all groomsmen and the boss and his family attended the wedding. Although we're not supposed to know how much each other make, we all do anyway because we trust each other. We've all been there since the course opened in 2002. Our mechanic makes more than me simply because he's a great mechanic and the other guy is an EPA certified spray technician. I make less because I don't really have a specialty, I can just do everything else, which is why I think I'm the only one that got a raise. We have four part-timers that got nothing. Like I said, we're a pretty tight knit group, that's why this is killing me! :unhappy:

you should not tell anyone about the raise. What you make is yours and your employers business only. If you do tell them and your employer finds out he will most likely fire you, at the least you will have lost his trust. He is the one paying you, not the other employees and he is the one you owe allegiance to. Being a good friend is great but this is not a friendship issue. All you will be doing is stirring up more trouble. If they are unhappy with their wages then they should take it up with thier employer or look for another position.

DampCharcoal said:
Well, it wasn't the boss' decision to give the raise and insurance, it was the owner's decision. We have a great relationship with the boss, in fact, when our mechanic got married last fall, we were all groomsmen and the boss and his family attended the wedding. Although we're not supposed to know how much each other make, we all do anyway because we trust each other. We've all been there since the course opened in 2002. Our mechanic makes more than me simply because he's a great mechanic and the other guy is an EPA certified spray technician. I make less because I don't really have a specialty, I can just do everything else, which is why I think I'm the only one that got a raise. We have four part-timers that got nothing. Like I said, we're a pretty tight knit group, that's why this is killing me! :unhappy:

DC:

Stay out of it. The others can go to the boss individually and complain. That way they make their point without involving you or others.

You're right. I needed a voice of reason and you folks provided it, that's why I love y'all. I'll keep my mouth shut. I don't like it, tho.

Congratulations on being the best worker - that's why you got the raise. Learn some non-commital responses to the others and don't spend all of the raise on All-Clad. :mrgreen:

LOL! Thanks, Otter! I'm not so sure about being the best worker but I appreciate it! All-Clad has to be on hold cuz I need new glasses. I'm going all out on them, too. Rimless glasses with titanium stems and bridge with poly-carb Transitions lenses! Don't ask how much it costs!!!

DC - you've gotten some good advice to which I can add no new thoughts. He thinks enough of your work to give you a raise as you are not making as much as the others. The owner was at least that considerate. No comment about raises and salary is avoidance for the sake of harmony, not lying to your friends.

I'm absolutely with everyone here. Your salary is your business. If it is awkward because you've discussed such things with them before, then simply keep it in mind in the future. Money is a touchy issue, as is relative "success" when measured that way, and it's best simply to keep as quiet about it as you can.

I'm glad you asked and are taking everyone advice and not saying anything. I imagine your boss is feeling the tug and pull sensation too. Encourage the others to ask to speak with the owner to find out what they can do to improve their chances of getting a raise. In the meantime they might explore their options and start seeing if there are any other openings somewhere else where the pay is better. But they should get their ducks in a row before walking away from a job where they have a great work relationship with their co-workers until they find something else they would be just as happy with.

Claire, Middie and Sush, you're right. I did some thinking and although the situation is unfair in my eyes, the best thing do is to keep my trap shut and hope for the best. Sizz, what you talked about has been a topic of discussion between ourselves for the last two years but a handful of us have invested an enormous amount of time and effort over the past four years to make the course as successful as it is today. I hope that doesn't sound arrogant but it's the truth. I can't imagine anyone really leaving, I certainly won't, even if there are higher paying jobs at other golf courses and they're definitely out there. Thankfully, we all hold a letter of recommendation that could get us a job at the finest golf courses anywhere in the world but we want to stick with this one for the time being to see how things pan out. There's a tremendous amount of loyalty but quite honestly, I don't think a couple of the owners recognize it. Ah well, it's Sunday, it's a beautiful day and I'm not at work, so enough of that. I got me some grilling to do!!! :cool: :mrgreen: Plus I promised my niece that I'd play soccer with her!

Last edited:
When I was still working, usually in a managerial position, the topic of salary and raises was forbidden to be discussed among the employees. Also, termination was the usual result if you did discuss wages. A real problem would occur, if you told them you got a raise, especially as a new employee, they would be irate and scream to the boss, then who would be in trouble, you. You can always say you cannot afford to jeapordize your job by striking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom