"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat
Old 03-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #11
Executive Chef

buckytom, label states sweet baby broccoli is elegant, new vegetable, easy to prepare with a sweet delicate flavor. We ate everything only cut small part of the stems off. It reminds me lot of aspargus. Just so tender. I bet I could eat whole thing. You have your own garden? How fortunate you are if you do. We have neighbors around here who destoryed our arborvite shrubs. If they do this kind of stuff what else will they do? Maybe that is why I have these dogs who show me how to treat others.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
lol itk, one of my sisters always said she wished she was the dog, so she could be treated so well (she was a middle child ).

thanks for the info. it sounds like a variety of broccoli that is able to be harvested young, before the head completely forms. most veggies, especially greens because of their tendency to turn woody or bitter, have a more delicate flavor when picked early.

i usually have the garden, a plot about 15' x 30', going with lettuces, spinach, beets, carrots, and peas by now, but the weather isn't cooperating.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #13
Executive Chef

bucky, you are fortunate and very very lucky. You KNOW what goes into your food. Don't you just love to pick tomato and eat it right there? I did that some years ago and won't forget the flavor. Could not copy that no matter what they put in it. Better not let too many people know about the fresh garden they will all be coming over to look and then ask for taste. Dogs don't do those kind of things.

Your sister very wise.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:57 PM   #14
Executive Chef
I like the meat department and deli and avoid the toilet paper.
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #15
Master Chef
i don't avoid any aisles except for the non-food ones. i even go to the baby aisle to get my cat baby food meat.
at my favorite store they have an awesome selection of imported and domestic cheeses. i love it.
i also love the seafood and meat department, especially the steaks, lamb rib chops and the veal cut for scallopine.
i'm another fan of the ethnic foods aisle, too.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
Old 03-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #16
Executive Chef
My favorite aisles are produce, cheese, breads, fish, wine, and ethnic foods. I go down all the aisles but would avoid the soda and snacks aisle except for the fact that my family love those things.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Point me toward the deli counter.

So lucky here to have fresh everything almost year round. Hard to resist anything...fish, produce, deli cheeses & meats, breads (foccacias, etc.), rotisserie chicken, ribs, pasta n seafood salads & outstanding salad bar with everything from ready made pasta dishes to veggies.

Another section of the deli has everything - mac n cheese, pate, meatballs, chicken by the piece, ethnic dishes, sushi, potato pancakes, carrot, potato, macaroni, Thai salads. Sure I'm forgetting something.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:37 PM   #18
The town where I live has a great farmer's market a couple of blocks from me -- twice a week!

So, I am not too terribly upset about not being able to have a garden this year [yeah right].

I find myself in the baking aisle most often -- drooling over expensive ingredients and spices.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:14 PM   #19
Certified Executive Chef
Produce and meat, then the cheese, and artisan breads. Also love the International Foods section, always looking for something new, which is why I love Trader Joe's so much. They always have something new to offer.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:18 PM   #20
Head Chef
Do I have to pick just one section? I love all of them (food related): meat, veggies/fruit, baking, canned, etc. Grocery shopping is one of my favorite things to do on the weekend.