Favourite Supermarket Section?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lately I've been hanging out in the meet and cheese section but, I often get stuck near the cookies.

love every dept except the seafood. i have a love/hate thing with the bakery. love it but i hate it cause i work there lol.

My favorite aisle is the cheese/deli section. Then produce. I agree with norgeskog about the international section and Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's is the best, I love the whole store. I avoid the non-food aisles unless there is something I specifically need.

there's another section i like. it's the organic foods section. i don't eat much organic food, but the section has some items i like like blue potato chips and instant mashed potatoes in lunch-sized portion cups. they're flavored like different things.

Oh, dear; me and grocery stores. I'm with crewsk; ethnic, produce and deli/cheese. But even so ... those meat and seafood counters! Pickles and vinegars! When travelling, a favorite thing to do is hit the local grocery store to see what is different (alas! with so many super WalMarts taking over, there isn't much difference sometimes). Travelling in foreign countries, yes, even Canada, is wonderful for looking at different grocery stores. When in the military, the commissaries were fun -- nothing was actually cheaper than the grocery store outside the gate, but the huge percentage of foreign-born spouses guaranteed a supply of foods that you'd not see elsewhere. Brochen in Mississippi, kimchee in Kansas, nori in Nevada -- in the sixties when you'd never find these things outside a big, cosmopolitan American city. I still miss my favorite candy bar (sport ritter rum raisin). I do my best to keep the ethnic groceries around here going, and when my local grocer puts something new and exotic on the shelf, I buy it on GP (the latest is a German vinegar that advertises "13 spices!"). Because ours is a tourist town the local store can get away with stocking a wider variety than a store its size might be able to in such a small midwestern town.

... as often, an after-thought. I must look like I know what I'm doing when I shop, because quite often people will approach me and ask about a product on the shelf is, how to use it, what wine should they bring to a freind's house, etc. Hubby and I joke that the grocery store should set up an "ask Claire" booth for me and pay me. I also often find myself educating the checkout clerks -- "What in the hades is this and what are you going to do with it?!" This has happened just about everywhere I've been. I'm glad I found this site because I enjoy that kind of thing so much.

I have a love/hate relationship with the bakery. Ilove the goodies, but they stay with me forever. I also have a love/hate relationship with the deli because I work there part-time. At one particular store I stand and drool at the meat counter; prices are good and the quality is excellent. Meats are displayed in the case on butcher paper and not prewrapped.

In the Kitchen said:
If you see me in the store, it will be in the produce. My basket is full when I leave there. So worried I will need another basket. They just don't make them big enough. Yesterday I found something called Broccellini and had some last nite was outstanding! Nothing else needed. So tender and easy. I am sure you all have tried it already. I just buy things until they get burned out on it that week and then look for something different. Aspargus is due in soon. Used to go to local farmers' market here where the farmers sell their vegetables. Used to be able to get things so fresh. Strawberries would be eaten before we got home. No longer the same. Many of them are not around anymore and the children don't want to work that hard. Surprisingly the folks who worked the ground live longer than the kids who refuse that life. The eggs were so much more yellower than any I got at the store. Now everything mostly from place that sells to grocery stores. So not worth the effort to make different trips to different places. Just buy at one local store that really helps me on personal level. Can't complain when someone stocks what you ask. never thought would have someone handle my requests like this. I do wish this store much success for the customer service they give. Oh, did I say produce department the main one for us.
Hi, in the kitchen :)
My family loves broccolini..I steam it and drizzle with garlic butter. It also is good steam, cooled to room temp and wrapped in thin sluces of procuitto. I love the produce section of my store and the cheese section, which is outstanding. Have you ever tried roasted asparagus? I've always cooked in water and served with mayo. But several weeks ago I saw asparagus roasted in the oven. I twas first drizzled with olive oil, given a sprinkle of kosher salt and some cracked black pepper ..It was out standing. For Easter I'm fixing this way then letting it come to room temp and wrapping with some procuitto, drizzling with EVOO salt a nd pepper...It will serve as an appitizer for my family..Nice topic :)
Kadesma

Gosh! It's ALL Good!!! LOL! (I bought an Artichoke, and the "check-out girl" asked me ":ohmy: What is That! :rolleyes: :LOL: I ate my first Artichoke in Castroville CA, And I feel in Love with 'em! :heart: Vote 5 Stars for DC!!! :) Atomic Jed!

jed, if you ever see a stuffed or breaded artichoke on a menu, order it. they are fantastic. it is a whole artichoke (the chokey spines removed), that is breaded and either baked or deep fried. you eat it by pulling the leaves off, and scraping the breading off whilst sucking out the juices of the leaves. then, when it is stripped down, you get to devour the heart of the artichoke, yummmm.

thanks ptop, i was wonderin about that. i just saw the broccoflower in a supermarket. it looks like a light green cauliflower. gonna have to research it's nutritional value, but i'd bet it's good for you, being a cruciferous veggie.

I like the fruits and veggie section. and the deli area :rolleyes:
I really dislike the ladies personal items sections and the pets supplies sections. :censored:

Atomic Jed said:
Gosh! It's ALL Good!!! LOL! (I bought an Artichoke, and the "check-out girl" asked me ":ohmy: What is That! :rolleyes: :LOL: I ate my first Artichoke in Castroville CA, And I feel in Love with 'em! :heart: Vote 5 Stars for DC!!! :) Atomic Jed!

AJ, try the marinated artichoke hearts for another wonderful treat. Great on a sandwich or in a salad, or drained on pizza.

Back
Top Bottom