Favourite Supermarket Section?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aussie girl

Senior Cook
I was wondering what your favourite section in the supermarket was? And the isles you aviod?

I just love the dairy section with yoghurts and cheeses. Yummm

I also love the herbs and spices rack, and try to buy a new one at least monthly

I bypass the soft drink and chips/lollies isle. Although, the last time I bought a coke was when the 'new' vanilla variety was released.:shock:

I love the produce section. I also avoid the soft drink isle.........haven't had a coke since December 30th..........well I take that back I mucked up and out of old habit ordered coke with my happy meal twice early on and after one drink I realized what I'd done and I was willing to put it aside and not drink the rest. I never thought I'd break that habit.

I love the produce, cheese, & ethnic foods sections. When I am going through these sections with my kids, even if I'm not buying anything, I always stop & point out new things to them. Then the next time we're there I ask the kids if they remember what it is. This is especially fun in the produce. I avoid the snack food isle at all cost!! I always seem to get something that we don't need & then :pig: out on it.

definitely the meats section, and the fish. i love to peruse the selections, looking for that chop, roast, steak, or fillet that looks just right (and might be on sale), and how i'm gonna prepare it.

next would have to be the breads section. (hi, my name is tom, i'm a breadaholic). i am lucky to have literally dozens of different breads, most locally made, to choose from.

another fave is the cheese dept., but i am intimidated by the choices. i don't know enough about cheeses, and have been disappointed by a few exploratory purchases. once bitten, twice shy.
i guess i don't avoid any aisles. in fact, i end up going up and down most of them, trying to find things on my list. it took me a while to get dw to write things down logically on my list; fruits and veggies together, meats and chicken, etc...

i always make a list,which seldom has a chance to get out of my purse...as i always end up buying many things i dont even need,well chocolate and candy section is my fav:) ,and also the cheese section,fruit juices,baking etc.

Favorite Section of Shopping

If you see me in the store, it will be in the produce. My basket is full when I leave there. So worried I will need another basket. They just don't make them big enough. Yesterday I found something called Broccellini and had some last nite was outstanding! Nothing else needed. So tender and easy. I am sure you all have tried it already. I just buy things until they get burned out on it that week and then look for something different. Aspargus is due in soon. Used to go to local farmers' market here where the farmers sell their vegetables. Used to be able to get things so fresh. Strawberries would be eaten before we got home. No longer the same. Many of them are not around anymore and the children don't want to work that hard. Surprisingly the folks who worked the ground live longer than the kids who refuse that life. The eggs were so much more yellower than any I got at the store. Now everything mostly from place that sells to grocery stores. So not worth the effort to make different trips to different places. Just buy at one local store that really helps me on personal level. Can't complain when someone stocks what you ask. never thought would have someone handle my requests like this. I do wish this store much success for the customer service they give. Oh, did I say produce department the main one for us.

is broccollini a cross between a broccoli and cauliflower, or another name for broccoli rabe (di rape), or something else. i've been trying to find seeds for the broccoli/cauliflower hybrid, but i think it's still patented.

Broccolini

buckytom, label states sweet baby broccoli is elegant, new vegetable, easy to prepare with a sweet delicate flavor. We ate everything only cut small part of the stems off. It reminds me lot of aspargus. Just so tender. I bet I could eat whole thing. You have your own garden? How fortunate you are if you do. We have neighbors around here who destoryed our arborvite shrubs. If they do this kind of stuff what else will they do? Maybe that is why I have these dogs who show me how to treat others.

lol itk, one of my sisters always said she wished she was the dog, so she could be treated so well (she was a middle child :rolleyes: :) ).

thanks for the info. it sounds like a variety of broccoli that is able to be harvested young, before the head completely forms. most veggies, especially greens because of their tendency to turn woody or bitter, have a more delicate flavor when picked early.

i usually have the garden, a plot about 15' x 30', going with lettuces, spinach, beets, carrots, and peas by now, but the weather isn't cooperating.

Garden

bucky, you are fortunate and very very lucky. You KNOW what goes into your food. Don't you just love to pick tomato and eat it right there? I did that some years ago and won't forget the flavor. Could not copy that no matter what they put in it. Better not let too many people know about the fresh garden they will all be coming over to look and then ask for taste. Dogs don't do those kind of things.

Your sister very wise.

i don't avoid any aisles except for the non-food ones. i even go to the baby aisle to get my cat baby food meat.
at my favorite store they have an awesome selection of imported and domestic cheeses. i love it.
i also love the seafood and meat department, especially the steaks, lamb rib chops and the veal cut for scallopine.
i'm another fan of the ethnic foods aisle, too.

Last edited:
My favorite aisles are produce, cheese, breads, fish, wine, and ethnic foods. I go down all the aisles but would avoid the soda and snacks aisle except for the fact that my family love those things.

Point me toward the deli counter. :)

So lucky here to have fresh everything almost year round. Hard to resist anything...fish, produce, deli cheeses & meats, breads (foccacias, etc.), rotisserie chicken, ribs, pasta n seafood salads & outstanding salad bar with everything from ready made pasta dishes to veggies.

Another section of the deli has everything - mac n cheese, pate, meatballs, chicken by the piece, ethnic dishes, sushi, potato pancakes, carrot, potato, macaroni, Thai salads. Sure I'm forgetting something.

The town where I live has a great farmer's market a couple of blocks from me -- twice a week!

So, I am not too terribly upset about not being able to have a garden this year [yeah right].

I find myself in the baking aisle most often -- drooling over expensive ingredients and spices.

Produce and meat, then the cheese, and artisan breads. Also love the International Foods section, always looking for something new, which is why I love Trader Joe's so much. They always have something new to offer.

Do I have to pick just one section? I love all of them (food related): meat, veggies/fruit, baking, canned, etc. Grocery shopping is one of my favorite things to do on the weekend. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom